• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ATV, do you ride?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to go along with Stumpkiller and the others,when i head into the woods,it's to enjoy the quiet and hear the natural sounds.Iv'e been on snow-shoes and had to watch out for ski-doos.As a means to get back in the woods for someone who is disabled is acceptable to me,but not for folks who are able to trek and have fair health.I'm not keen on tree stands.Like Stumpkiller,I like to be able to move slowly through the woods ,unencumbered,not, carrying a bunch of metal and plastic junk.I'll be 68 years old Monday the 31st and if I drop dead hauling a deer out,so be it,I think it's not a bad way to go out.I really feel that those that become dependent on ATVs and Ski-Doos are missing the best part of the hunting experience.If I could afford the price of a new ATV, the money would go to build a new Flinter. :m2c: :front:

My ATV is a 15 year old mare.

No ATV here... just a 28 year old black grade mare who doubles as a pack mule when needed. Nothing like the companionship of a good horse to fill out a good day in the woods [just make sure it's not gun shy].

Don't have one. Wish I did. Just had my second heart attack October 13th. Still not back to feeling good enough to drag out a buck. Wish I felt good enough to give it a try but will have to wait a little longer. If I had one,(an ATV) I would use it. But only because I can't walk fast enough to get to my "spot" at a reasonable hour. Leaving camp at dark 30 and not getting to the spot til noon is not good. I can walk but right now it is a slow stroll. Plenty of time to look around. Not hunting this year as I just moved to Oregon and then almost didn't get to enjoy the rain. So I am doing a little scouting and checking with hunters I have met. Hope I am better next year and hope I can get an ATV by then! :m2c:

Merdean,
Hope you feel better real soon. When I was younger, I used to try to be the first guy in the woods. More often than not, I'd be rewarded with venison. While sneaking around one day about mid morning, I bumped into an older guy sneakin into the woods. I stopped to chat awhile and he told me a few of his tricks. He always waited until at least 9AM to go into the woods 'cause at his age, the last thing he wanted to do was fall in the dark and break a hip. He discovered he hardly ever got to his stand 'cause he usually shot a deer on the way in. He always had a couple of rolled up heavy plastic sheets stashed to help drag one out if he had to but most often, somebody would give him a hand. He liked to build a fire on cold days 'cause he didn't tolerate the cold as well as he used to. He also discovered that deer were naturally curious about fire since their lives depend on it. He shot a lot of deer who came to visit while he was warming up next to a small fire.
That was one guy who did what he could do, enjoyed it and it paid off for him. Taught me there's more than one way to do it. All the best.
Finnwolf

It used to be nothing for me to walk a mile and be up in my stand an hour before daylight. Drop a deer and drag it back to and have it hanging before the guys got back to camp. A triple bypass and two stints later, finds me quietly riding the first 3/4 mile and slowly walking in the rest. The three of us are the only ones allowed to hunt on that 4,000 acres, so I know I'm not disturbing any other hunters. And guess what? I still always get the first deer! If it wasn't for that old 3 wheelerI wouldn't be able to walk to my stand, drag the deer out, and supply my 85 year old Dad with the venision he loves.

Right now, wearing all those hunting clothes, boots and carrying my gun, I couldn't walk a hundred yards without getting heavy chested and having to sit for a spell(I'm 6' and weight 170 lbs) So I'll do what I have to as long as I'm not ruining it for anybody else. "Deer excepted" :rolleyes:

Mr. Kaw Trooper,
Yes Sir, we do. At our age (especially mine) and health, we just can't get around as we used to. This morning I ventured back a little ways from home to look for Wolves. I disturbed NO ONE! I was the only person there for many miles around and our machine is very quiet.

Only managed to call in a small Fox but had a great day (just returned home). The temperature was around two or three degrees above 0 (F) and there is around seven inches of new snow on the ground, another inch fell while hunting.

For calling, set up in the spruce beyond the front of the Alaskan Mule, 75yds distance. Our Moose camp is to the left of the Mule, 1/3 of the way up the mountan; Granite Mountains, Alaska Range. If the Mule was to fail me and I could not make repairs, it would take me about two days to walk out to the ALCAN. With common sense and the emergency gear I carry, I can do it. One of you young whipersnappers could probably do it in a day.
The NW Trade Rifle didn't make meat today, through no fault of its own. Saw three Moose and the Fox, no Grouse or Hare.
For those of you who still have your health, enjoy it while you can and NEVER take it for granted. For those of you who choose not to use an ATV, may your days be as blessed as mine was today. Wishing a safe journey for one an all.
Best Wishes
gus-ride-2.jpg

Windwalker, you hit it right. I certainly have nothing against an ATV at all. It is the people that abuse thier use. Some it seems, use them for another tool to "road hunt" all day. So all day these ding dongs travel around with a cooler of beer in front and look for game.Tossing empty beer cans as they go, jeopardizing the ground we hunt on with their litter. If they were to go quietly to their place of hunting and park the thing or use it to remove thier game, I have no problem at all. So many times, it seems as if the parents of these inmature riders, allow the ATV to become a baby sitting toy and as long as the kid is gone, it is great. I have actually begun to loathe the darn things, not because they are ATV's, but because of the missuse of them. Oh, by the way, I am a dirt biker. You don't dirt bike where there is a known hunter nearby and you stay on the trails. Anything you carry in, you carry out.

I have actually begun to loathe the darn things, not because they are ATV's, but because of the missuse of them.

Mr. Dave K,
Do believe you are 100% correct. As with most things in life that we all find annoying or even despicable, it usually starts with the "conduct" of an individual (or group) who could care less as to how he/she affects others.
Then these same individuals can't understand why their toy/conduct is being restricted in use and area of operation. Sometimes mankind can be its own worst enemy, to quote the old phrase.
Enough of the soapbox and I'm getting off topic. My apoligies. :eek:
Best Wishes

While you might be able to argue the use of an ATV if you have a medical condition, under any other circumstance I would have to question their use. I can't tell you how many beautiful mornings have been ruined on a deer stand when someone comes cruising up on their 4 wheeler. There are few more frustrating experiences than having myself all set in a stand waiting for Bambi's grandfather to come along and then have someone pull up on an ATV and ask the immortal question,"seen any bucks yet"?
And I'll never forget a trek we took to a beautiful mountain lake, about 3 miles from the nearest road on state land where no vehicles are allowed, and finding about a case of empty beer botles, the remnants of an huge bonfire, and atv tracks all over. A sad day indeed.

Mr. Jbg,
Sad to say, we have experienced similar situations. Until the individuals who exhibit such conduct correct their behavior, things will not get any better. And we will all suffer for it. :cursing:
What I do not understand is how these people can not see what they are doing is wrong. Whether it is the trash left behind or wanting to flap their jaws when it is obviously detrimental to your hunt, they just don't care. It is very difficult to hold them accountable for their behavior, without going to jail yourself.
Any suggestions or am I gettin too far off topic?
Best Wishes

Amazing, how similar problems and experiences can be, when we are geographically so far apart. I'm about 2 1/2 hrs. north of NYC. We have some nice country, but nothing like you. I know, I've been to Alaska. Another thing that frosts my cookies about atv's are that they almost demand trespassing and law breaking if you are going to use them. Around here most of the state land prohibits any motorized vehicles. Doesn't stop them. Farmers and land owners are constantly having their fences cut by 4 wheelers who pay no attention to fences or posted signs. We have had several summer homes vandalized or burned during the off season, after the owners confronted or chased 4 wheelers. We even had a 70 yr. old man have his jaw broken by some microcephalic nitwit (I found that word in a Peter Capstick book and have been waiting quite some time to use it) by a 4 wheeler he confronted after the jerk got stuck in his front yard.
I guess I have gotten off topic enough.

Yes, I ride an ATV. I also carry a black powder rifle from time to time on it. First off we are not allowed to shoot off an ATV, or road. We are not allowed to have a weapon uncased on an ATV.

All the ATV does is makes it easier for me to get to and from my hunting and fishing area. It also helps me recover my game much easier.

No, I don't ride my ATB. My burro, at just a bit over 11 hands, is not quite strong enough. We do pack quite a lot of stuff for quite a distance though!

Robert in Wyoming

All the ATV does is makes it easier for me to get to and from my hunting and fishing area. It also helps me recover my game much easier.

But are you driving through territory where you are spoiling the chances for other hunters who walk in and have been sitting quietly for hours only to have you putt-putt, or VROOOOOM!, past with your deer or to your spot?

Stumpkiller said:
But are you driving through territory where you are spoiling the chances for other hunters who walk in and have been sitting quietly for hours only to have you putt-putt, or VROOOOOM!, past with your deer or to your spot?

The Michigan rules address that. sorta. There now seem to be more exceptions than I remember from years past.

Time Restrictions””It is illegal to operate an ORV or a snowmobile between the hours of 7 and 11 a.m. and 2 to 5 p.m. on any area open to public hunting during the November 15-30 firearm deer season. Exception: The time restrictions on the use of ORVs and snowmobiles do not apply during an emergency or while traveling to and from a permanent residence or hunting camp that is otherwise inaccessible by a conventional wheeled vehicle.

The time restrictions on the use of ORVs also do not apply to retrieve a legally taken deer, to private landowners and their invited guests, to motor vehicles licensed under the Michigan Vehicle Code operating on roads capable of sustaining automobile traffic, to a disabled person using a designated trail or forest road for hunting of fishing purposes, or to a person with a valid permit to hunt from a standing vehicle.

ATV's are fine when used with discernment. When hunting or scouting on my 30 acres or my father's 160 acres, I don't use one. I don't like to make it part of the hunt. My feeling is that it changes the condition of the hunt, deer will react to it in some way. I like to maintain a bit of stealthness. After the meat hits the ground, you bet I'll use the ol' Honda. The terrain I hunt is a steep grade each way, practically a canyon, definately too steep for dragging. And if it wasn't steep, I'd still use it. We're talking 10 minutes of packing vs. 1-3 hours of dragging, time I'd rather spend back out in the woods hunting.
I used an ATV in Coconino National Forest as a substitue for an automobile. The forest roads are very rough and rocky out there. You can save time and wear and tear on a vehicle with a quad. I just stayed on the roads designated for motorized vehicles. Didn't go anywhere I wouldn't have driven a truck. Still got miles of walking in too. I would suggest that riding an ATV to your "jumping off" point is no less PC than driving your automobile to the same.

Stumpkiller said:

I operate my ATV according to law, where I am valid to operate it. Whether I upset someones hunt I could not say. I would guess that no matter where you operate, someone can hear you come through. We hear ATV's on and off during the day. How far away, or where they are at, we have no idea.

In the National Forest we are not allowed to leave ATV trails. Some people do leave the trails I admit. I personally do not. Most ride in to a place where they park and then walk in from there. It just allows them to get even further into the forest away from the city people afraid to get out of sight of the main roads.

I think people's idea of ATV's upsetting a hunt are a little far fetched. Granted if a person rode around and around your stand all day on their ATV, it would ruin you hunt. Whens the last time you saw or had that happen to you? One occasionally passing by your area at a distance, on a designated trail, I have never seen as real problem.

I've seen hundreds of game animals while riding my ATV. This includes, deer, bear, badgers, wolves, grouse, and many other species of wild life.

When I hear the arguement of ATV's in the forest I always think of this old timer and my conversation one evening at a watering hole. He damned ATV's and everything they stood for. Would not be caught dead on one. I told him I respected his opinion but was not about to change mine.

That deer season, while driving out as darkness was falling over a mile still in the forest, who do I cross paths with but him. He was dragging a nice spike buck out. I had mine on the front rack of the ATV. He looked to be about two steps from a heart attack. You'd never guess who suddenly had a change of heart on the use of ATV's and asked for help. His last mile out was done in under twenty minutes, in comfort.

ATV's have their use. Granted they are abused by some. Anything we use is abused by some. Those are the ones we need to weed out. Not the person who uses their ATV in a responsible manner.

"ATV's have their use. Granted they are abused by some. Anything we use is abused by some. Those are the ones we need to weed out. Not the person who uses their ATV in a responsible manner."[/quote]

Mr. Cayugad,
Well stated. Just wish I knew how without going to jail.
Best Wishes

I wasn't singling you out, and am still not, but I have had several hunts "upset" by ATV's. I don't push down fences or leave gates open, and I'm sure you don't either. But some do.

I think people's idea of ATV's upsetting a hunt are a little far fetched

Where I hunt it is woodlots and hedgerows. The farmer whose land I hunt will not allow ATV's. I was sitting in a hedgerow waiting for dawn, and an ATVer pulls up on the backside of the hedgerow a few minutes before dawn on another farmer's property who doesn't forbid ATV's, 10 yards from where I was sitting. Parks it and walks along the hedgerow farther and sits on a stump. I suppose that's no worse that the times it happens to be a guy with a huge flashlight that does the same thing, but on foot.

The terrain I hunt is a steep grade each way, practically a canyon, definately too steep for dragging.

I hunt one spot where I have "dropped" dressed deer and had them slide down hill by gravity alone, and then I have to get them up the other side. Where I hunt the flat spots are farmed and the gourges and ravines too steep for cows or corn are where the woods (and deer) end up. I've had 2-1/2 hour drags that I thought might be my last. Lots of spots where you can stand and touch the hillside with outstretched arm without bending over. Those are the good spots where you don't have to listen to motors. Except when you finally gain the ridge after a silent still-hunt of two hours . . . only to have an ATV who drove up from the logging road on the upper side growl past as you're gathering your strength back. Some of my past favorite and most productive spots were where there was little pressure because they were too hard to reach (across streams, up hills, etc). Now even the lazy guys get there first on ATV's.

To each his own. There are plenty enough slob hunters on foot that it is hardly the high ground to say all ATV's are bad. It's just when ATV's are misused everyone within a mile hears and suffers. If I belch and smoke it only disrupts a small area at a time. I do get steamed when they disregard the "No Motorized Vehicles Beyond This Point" signs on state and federal lands. As long as I've got a place to get away from them I'll go; but they seem to follow. At one spot near leased land I have "patterened" the ATV's and can count on them moving deer towards me in the thick & swampy stuff because they follow the same trails at fairly regular times. Adapt, adopt, improvise, overcome.

Latest posts

Back