• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Auction find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zane

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello all---Went to a gun auction last week to check out some double barrel hammer shotguns. No luck on the doubles but toward the end of the auction they put a left hand Dixie Tenn. mountain rifle up for sale. The auctioneer asked for an opening bid of $500 then dropped it to $400 then $300 then 200 when he got to $100 I raised my hand. No one else was interested so it is mine for a hundred dollar bill. Cherry stock no nicks no dings great finish, browned furniture and barrel 99% no rust or pits in the barrel and fine rifleing. I have been shooting the same rifle in the right handed version for over thirty years; but off my left shoulder. I am looking forward to shooting this true left handed rifle. If the snow ever lets up I will go down to the Columbus Muzzle Loading Gun Club and work up a load. This looks like a great Muzzle loading web site and I look forward to talking and learing from all of you.----Zane

Good find, should work just fine for you. Being LH percussion would probably help a bit having to not have to whtch the cock fall right in front of your eyes. As opposed to a flint ignition having the flash and fire going off right before your eyes (big difference) RH vs. LH.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

That sounds great Zane. Sounds like you really lucked out at that auction. Sometimes things work out like that. I have been lucky at a few auctions also, but a lot of times just have to sit on my hands cause the bidding gets too high. :surrender: Don't know if I know you or not, but I am very active in the Columbus M.L.G.C., and down there most every Wednesday for the "Wednesday Morning Glee Club" practice session. We have from 3 to 8 show up, depending on what they have going on and the weather. Not sure how many will show up this Wed. as the forecast is not very good, but if you can, come down and join us. A lot of good neatured ribbing, muzzleloading info exchanges, etc. :thumbsup:

See ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

Zane- Nice find. Guess guilt overcame you at
$100. How low would the price have gone?

Welcome.

David :v

Thank you all for the kind greeting. This looks to be a very friendly site. Dave if you let an item drop to far at auction they just may pull it and sell it another day, I have had this happen to me. Besides I did not realy want to steal the rifle. Jim you might recognise me but I have not been very active for a few years. Shooting a lot of Schuetzen and that involves a lot of out of state travel. My health is not very good and I am pretty much a fair weather shooter anymore. For years I never missed the New Years shoot but the last few it has been too cold or too wet. Nice to hear about the Wednesday shoot I will be sure to make it when the weather warms. I will bring lunch and a Buffalo gun. See you soon--Zane

Ok Zane, look forward to it. These Wednesday sessions have been kind of rough the last few weeks, but we will difinately be there when the wether warms a little. So, look forward to you joining us. :thumbsup: The Bench and Cross Sticks shooting usually starts at the club matches on the Memorial Day shoot. :v

See ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

Zane,
I am a member at CMLGC also. Several members gather every Wednesday to shoot for a few hours. Usually arrive about 10:30 - 11:00 and pack up to leave by 3:00pm. Four of us where there last Wednesday. February scheduled shoot is the 21st. starts at 10:00.

Jerry Miller

Back