• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Austin & Halleck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gentleman, I recently acquired, as partial payment for work completed, an Austin & Halleck 50 caliber "mountain rifle" flint lock. It has a 32" browned barrel with 1:66 twist barrel and a beautiful maple stock. It does not appear to have been fired much, as the bore is very clean and the frizzen shows very little scrapping. I did some research on the gun but was not able to find much. It appears that they mostly made the unmentionable type of muzzleloader. I recently saw that one had sold on Gun Brokers for slightly over $750.00. So the question is, what can you tell me about this gun. Is it a shooter or a lemon? Were they of good quality, as it appears to be, or was there some other reason they are no longer made? Any info would be appreciated.

I have one in caplock. It is a solid built muzzleloader with beautiful curly maple stock. Mine is also the 1:66 twist for PRB. Comes with german silver front and full buckhorn fixed rear sights. Mine is very accurate. I have nothing bad to say about it.

As for the history of Austin Halleck, They built the Mountain Rifle in either flint or percussion. They had a roundball barrel that is 1:66 twist and a fast twist barrel that is 1:28 for conicals.

They were out in .50 Caliber only.

Austin Halleck was originally located in Weston MO. Then moved the company to Provo UT.

They did build one of those unmentionable's we do not discuss here.

They went out of business in 2006. They were on the high end in price for a production gun.

Not sure why they went out of business :idunno:

Herd that Traditions bought out what remaining inventory that they still had at the time.

Others also said that the rifles made in Weston MO. were better quality than the one's made in Provo UT. I don't know if that's true or not?

I can only speak for mine. Very solid built rifle that is very accurate. The curly maple stock is beautiful.

I refinished my stock and the curly maple really stands out. I started a topic in the Gun Builder's Bench called ( Curly Maple ), if you want to check out the pics.

That's pretty much all I know about them. You don't see them much anymore.

Respectfully, Cowboy :hatsoff:

Thanks Cowboy for the info. This gun is a flintlock, and the lock appears to be solid and the geometry looks good. The stock is very nice. I don't know what type of finish is on it. I'm looking forward to seeing what the rifle can do at the range.

I owned/shot/hunted with 2 different original rocklock A&H Mountain Rifles, one with a 1:28 twist & the other a 1:66.

(after A&H closed, Traditions bought all the remaining parts inventory & assembled them with "Traditions" stamped on them.)

Both .50's shot flawlessly, with a faster ignition than any of my capguns - and were plenty accurate, to boot !

The only minus (for me - YMMV) was that they weighted enough to become tiresome by day's end.

they went out of business after freedom arms bought them. there product was junk.no more need be said. the wesson, mo. are top notch, Utah made junk.

I had a A&H rocklock a very good rifle. They were on the upper end of the market and when the economy turned they went out of business. I sold mine to a friend who still shoots it and loves it. If I had not had a custom rifle built I would still hunt with it.

Flint62Smoothie said:
Fyrstyk said:
How can I tell where this gun was made?
The barrel should be marked. If not marked, I would suggest it may be an early non-Utah model. Any serial number?
Mine is made in Weston MO. Was one of the earlier makes before they moved to Provo UT.

Mine is marked on the top flat behind the rear sight. It says " AUSTIN&HALLECK WESTON MO. "

On the right side flat , it has the BP warning.

On the left side flat , it has the .50, the 1:66 twist, and the serial no.

Respectfully, Cowboy

I seem to remember something about Ted Hatfield owned the company when it was in Missiouri. That was after he had sold the Hatfield company. Am I remembering that correctly? Greg

Critter Getter said:
I seem to remember something about Ted Hatfield owned the company when it was in Missiouri. That was after he had sold the Hatfield company. Am I remembering that correctly? Greg
Yes, He was either the initial founder or co-founder of A&H.

After I read your post and question, I did not know the answer, so I googled Ted Hatfield and Austin&Halleck Inc.

This is what I could gather from researching other sights like Field&Stream and old records on A&H.

The name Halleck in Austin&Halleck was Ted Hatfield's middle name.

I researched the Austin part of the company's name till I was blue in the face. Ended up with nothing I would call factual. One account from an old post on another website stated that the name of Austin was Ted's cousin! I can't confirm that as factual and only read this one account.

Have read about Halleck being Ted's middle name in several different places and website's.

When A&H was operating out of Weston MO. beginning in 1996, the registering agent and Chief Executive Officer was Niles Burkett.

While the company was in Weston MO. the total number of employee's was nine people.

The company was sold to Sandy Chisholm and moved to Provo Utah. The work force started with ten employee's and increased to twenty people up until 10/01/2006, which was when they closed their door's and went out of business.

A&H muzzleloader's were being sold on the high end for a production muzzleloader. Thompson Center was being sold for half the price for one and CVA was almost three times cheaper than an A&H at the time.

Also, both TC and CVA were established way before Austin&Halleck even came about. The high priced A&H muzzleloaders were small potatoes compared to The big company's like TC and CVA who were well known and were cranking them out by the thousands. A&H didn't stand a chance!

Traditions bought the company out in 2006. They sold the Mountain Rifle at basement prices until all the muzzleloaders and parts were sold out.

This was all I could gather but maybe could give us a little better understanding of A&H and maybe why they went under.

Respectfully, Cowboy :hatsoff:

That was a good read Cowboy. Thanks for posting that. If the Missiouri A&H rifles shoot as well as the Hatfields that I own, I would surely love to own an A & H ! Greg. :)

Gentleman, I recently acquired, as partial payment for work completed, an Austin & Halleck 50 caliber "mountain rifle" flint lock. It has a 32" browned barrel with 1:66 twist barrel and a beautiful maple stock. It does not appear to have been fired much, as the bore is very clean and the frizzen shows very little scrapping. I did some research on the gun but was not able to find much. It appears that they mostly made the unmentionable type of muzzleloader. I recently saw that one had sold on Gun Brokers for slightly over $750.00. So the question is, what can you tell me about this gun. Is it a shooter or a lemon? Were they of good quality, as it appears to be, or was there some other reason they are no longer made? Any info would be appreciated.
Hey Grimord, it’s been a while since you posted this but do you still have this ML? What are your thoughts on it? I am looking for a flintlock and came across this same one. Have you had to replace any parts on it?

Hey Grimord, it’s been a while since you posted this but do you still have this ML? What are your thoughts on it? I am looking for a flintlock and came across this same one. Have you had to replace any parts on it?
Sold it a couple of years ago to fund a custom .32 long rifle. It was a great shooting gun, but parts, (if necessary) are near impossible to find and have to be made. There is one identical to the one I sold currently on GB.

I've never owned nor fired an A&H but have handled and examined them. I found them impressive if a bit weighty. Everything I've ever heard about them has been very positive.

FWIW I have a Utah one, but it must be one from when they 1st moved there - as it is excellent! I have been told that the Utah guns are otherwise inferior ...
Wellllllllllll? I have one, made in Provo, that I think is beautifully made and has very nice curly maple for a stock, Yes, it is heavy [and I am old]. I would not trade it for a Pedersoli or a Lyman Hawken style. Dale

Sold it a couple of years ago to fund a custom .32 long rifle. It was a great shooting gun, but parts, (if necessary) are near impossible to find and have to be made. There is one identical to the one I sold currently on GB.
I see, that’s the one I’m eyeing. Had a feeling parts may be a challenge. He states there may be a worn part related to the frizzen. That’s for the info

Back