• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Authenticity of Veteran Arms Brown Bess Muskets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, Warner’s Regt. is blessed to have you and Maria. I’m sure they appreciate it. I would 👍🏻
(I am a new member of the 2nd N.C. Regt., and was really suprised how so many folks were astonished when I showed them how to even field clean their firelocks. One asked me to make a demonstration video!)
Thanks Bob,
I am sure the 2nd NC will very quickly appreciate your worth as well. We are also working with the light infantry of the 40th regiment of foot and may also be assisting Fort Ticonderoga with their musket and other firearm needs. Bob, what is also remarkable is that so few reenactors actually know the history of their guns, early firearms in general, and gunpowder. The history of firearms from the handgonne and bombards to the flintlock musket and 18th century artillery is the history of what we recognize as modern nation states. The cost to produce gunpowder, artillery, and firearms required the concentration of resources into discrete nations ruled by a centralized government. It also forced the medieval hierarchy of knightly "men at arms" into a professional officer corps subservient to those governments. Guns killed armored knights better than any other weapon including the vaunted long bow. Recent research clearly shows that the effect of the arrow on steel armor (as opposed to iron armor) was very limited after the 1400s. But a musket ball killed even through the best armor. There is a reason why European principalities quickly adopted firearms and did not adopt the long bow except for some English mercenaries. The firearm could be produced quickly and men trained to use it also quickly, and it was effective. But it was expensive and purchasing gunpowder or its components such as potassium nitrate was expensive. In our live firing weekends, we go over this history.

dave

Thanks Bob,
I am sure the 2nd NC will very quickly appreciate your worth as well. We are also working with the light infantry of the 40th regiment of foot and may also be assisting Fort Ticonderoga with their musket and other firearm needs. Bob, what is also remarkable is that so few reenactors actually know the history of their guns, early firearms in general, and gunpowder. The history of firearms from the handgonne and bombards to the flintlock musket and 18th century artillery is the history of what we recognize as modern nation states. The cost to produce gunpowder, artillery, and firearms required the concentration of resources into discrete nations ruled by a centralized government. It also forced the medieval hierarchy of knightly "men at arms" into a professional officer corps subservient to those governments. Guns killed armored knights better than any other weapon including the vaunted long bow. Recent research clearly shows that the effect of the arrow on steel armor (as opposed to iron armor) was very limited after the 1400s. But a musket ball killed even through the best armor. There is a reason why European principalities quickly adopted firearms and did not adopt the long bow except for some English mercenaries. The firearm could be produced quickly and men trained to use it also quickly, and it was effective. But it was expensive and purchasing gunpowder or its components such as potassium nitrate was expensive. In our live firing weekends, we go over this history.

dave
Good stuff here! It looks like you’re going strong to make a positive imprint in authentic 18th Century Reenacting and living History interpretation. There is certainly a need and the community is lucky to have you.
If, as I believe you had stated somewhere earlier, reenactors were as keen on the authenticity of their firearms as they are on clothing and other period accoutrements, imagine the demand for better made reproductions, and the resulting improvements in them? (But then again, probably not). Using what is available is all most folks ( myself included) can do, but knowing the difference between what is correct and incorrect is rather important, especially if your aim is to provide education and correct historical re-creation to the community. And putting things into historical perspective is critical.
I would dare to say that, in the hierarchy of values, the musket (probably the most expensive single item in any reenactors’ kit), is generally relegated to a noise and smoke making prop, and badly maintained. I also would like to help change that.

Last edited:
Good stuff here! It looks like you’re going strong to make a positive imprint in authentic 18th Century Reenacting and living History interpretation. There is certainly a need and the community is lucky to have you.
If, as I believe you had stated somewhere earlier, reenactors were as keen on the authenticity of their firearms as they are on clothing and other period accoutrements, imagine the demand for better made reproductions, and the resulting improvements in them? (But then again, probably not). Using what is available is all most folks ( myself included) can do, but knowing the difference between what is correct and incorrect is rather important, especially if your aim is to provide education and correct historical re-creation to the community. And putting things into historical perspective is critical.
I would dare to say that, in the hierarchy of values, the musket (probably the most expensive single item in any reenactors’ kit), is generally relegated to a noise and smoke making prop, and badly maintained. I also would like to help change that.
I hope Rev War reenactors are a better caliber than most CW reenactors. Most of those guys won’t improve their stuff even if offered free work. BTDT.

After readying many of the replies, I’m definitely now wanting to look for a different more real style brown bess than the Indian made musket. I have been looking through books and antique brown bess muskets, every time i do i find myself feeling disappointed. I would compare it to buying a knockoff brand without knowing anything about that the original model. I attempted to Unassembled the musket to rework and refinish it and wood was falling and flying off. what a mess.

Latest posts

Back