• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Average Practice Distances ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CROWHOP said:
Thinking about getting some volunteers to help me pick it up. Lots of people use it for recreation so I might get some help.
One of the most appreciated things I did for a landowner was exactly that...a tractor path into his farmland (which was no longer actively farmed) had become a convenient place for the lowlifes of our society to dump trash, an old washing machine, etc.

I got his permission to hunt one fall, then cleaned up and carted off all that trash, put up steel cables across the access paths, and have now had sole rights to hunt his posted land since 1993...have fill 75% of my deer tags on that farm every year since then
:thumbsup:

These days, it's 65 yards; generaly offhand standing or offhand seated.

Sure miss the range we had when I lived in Marion, Indiana. Had berms at 25, 50, and 100 yards with the full length backstop at 200 yards. Also had a covered firing line and a half dozen well made benches. It was a few miles south of town and I could zip down there after work. I put a lot of lead into each of the three berms.

But, in Indiana, at least half of my shooting was for groups from the bench. Here in NY it's all offhand...better for marksmanship.
Bob

Crowhop we had the same thing happen out here with the blm we didn't keep up with the trash although we tried to . Make the blm in your area aware that you have good intentions and will be organizing cleanups to your area get volunteers to help pass the word that because of the trash you'll all loose your place to shoot . If you dont take action you'll loose out , we tried but not hard enough we carried tons of trash out time after time and still lost to the blm . You and your group will havr to somehow aproach the litterers tell them that because of them you'll all loose your place for recreation . they will be the cause of your loosing it the blm won't do it you'll have to , the only thing the blm will do is close it down .You and your group will have to fight to keep your area free to use . In our case we cleaned up several times only to have it get filled up with trash over and over again we should have put our energy towards the people that were trashing the place , holding them accountable thats whare we went wrong Get together with the shooters at your area put together a cleanup while you have them together organize a group trade phone numbers make a plan to keep your area open to the good folks . Cleanups are great the blm dose apreciate the efort but the real battle will be the litterers if you can get a few prossecuted the word will get out , if you don't do it you'll loose your spot I speak from experience . For myself I can shoot in my own yard but dozens maybe even hundreds of my fellow shooters lost there spot forever because we didn't organize correctly .ok thats enough for me now I'll shut up. good luck

I'm lucky and have my own range. I shoot at 50 and 100 yards and I have a 50 yard running target. Most of my deer kills have always been 50 yards and under.
Bob

Pistol - 10 & 20 Yards
Rifle - 25 & 50 Yards
I am new to M/L so I am still working out loads.

Roundball,

I got his permission to hunt one fall, then cleaned up and carted off all that trash, put up steel cables across the access paths, and have now had sole rights to hunt his posted land since 1993...have fill 75% of my deer tags on that farm every year since then

You're my kind of guy! Character and initiative. Good on ya.

CS

Since the matches around here are at 50 and 100 yds. That's what I use to practice. I'm working on finding the time to give 200 yds a try. BTW most of the matches here are shot off hand with some use of X-sticks for small paper targets. So most of my practice is off-hand as well.

I do almost all my practice at metal targets similar to those found at primitive matches and rondys. I have a backyard range :grin: and am able to shoot whenever I want, weather permitting. I like to do a lot of shooting at some 10" long pieces of 3" wide square metal tubing, usually at 40, 50, 60, and 75 yards. I have some 2, 3, and 4" round swingers at shorter ranges, and shoot at large X's, 3/8" dots, and lines, drawn on a piece of cardboard, simulating yarn, tacks, and swizzle sticks usually found in Mt. Man matches. I have a rack of 5 hinged 8" plates I use for 60, 75, and 100 yards. I hate paper targets with a passion, and only find them useful when there is no other paper in the camp hooter.

mwindy said:
Pistol - 10 & 20 Yards
Rifle - 25 & 50 Yards
I am new to M/L so I am still working out loads.
25 and 50 are good places to start...I usually work out my loads at 50 yds, then see what they do at ranges out to 100. The old time matches were generally set at 30 and 60 yds--odd to us moderns, but makes sense for MLers. "Kentucky elevation and windage" then has to be learned from experience for other ranges. I liken reasonable roundball loads to .22 shooting. I have spent 50 years with open sight .22s and have a 'feel' for 'holds' for them--the MLers trajectories are similar arcs.

Back