• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Awesome weekend !!! pheasant hunt with video and new guns !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have had an awesome weekend ! First Thomp Shooter and I went on a pheasant/chukar hunt with our muzzleloading shotguns.Thomp Shooter was using his custom 20 guage smoothie and I was using my traditions 12 guage. We got a big snow storm in the morning and we werent able to go hunting till in the afternoon. We had alot of fun. The woman who runs the hunting place was very impressed with my shooting last year and had never seen anyone use a muzzleloading shotgun. because of this she wanted to have a guy come in with a video camara and get some footage of us shooting birds with the muzzleloaders so they could put it on their web site ! Well sadly we were pretty rusty and didnt shoot as well as we had expected.but we still had a bunch of fun. we shot 4 pheasants and 6 chukars. My dad and sister followed us with our video camara and got footage of us shooting also. I combined the clips together and made a video. for some reason photobucket wouldnt load the whole video and only uploaded half the video. luckly It was the half with all the hits and not the misses :rotf: If you want to see the whole video you can give me your email address and I will try to send it to you. My dad isnt the best with the video camara and he sometimes forgets to stop the video as you will see :haha: Some of the birds we shot flew out of view before going down so not all of them go down on film.enjoy

2781.jpg

2671.jpg

My birthday is this weekend and my grandpa let me have one of his guns. I picked the 45 kentucky/jukar rifle which it deadly accurate. I have been borrowing it for a while and I couldnt live without it.
04220920271.jpg

well I went up to the log cabin to do some birthday shopping. I got stuck between a beretta over under 12 guage muzzleloader or a english moore 10 guage double or a original 33 calbier vincent syle heavy barreled rifle. well the beretta cost substancially more then either of the other two. And for some reason I just didnt really like the beretta. Yes they are a valuable gun and it would pry be a good idea to get one, but there was something about the 10 guage I just couldnt resist. Maybe it was the heaft of the gun that was just blooming with character, or maybe because it fit me like a glove. whatever it was I couldnt give it up, but i did better then that. not only did I get the 10 guage,but I also threw the 33 cal rifle into the deal, and they offered me a great package price for the two. to make it even better I got both guns for just over half the price of what the beretta alone would of been. I am very happy with them. the old 33 cal looks as if it had so many stories to tell. it is kinda rough,with a few gouges and chips in the stock,which make me like it even more. there is a mark on the wood behind the hammer where someone had blown the nipple out at some point even. So they gave me a new drum to put in so it will be shootable again. I tried the 10 guage out with 80 grains FF and 80 grains shot and it patterns very nice and tight. it is an english gun and is from the time period of damascus barrels,but I searched everywhere and darn i couldnt find a damascus twist on it to save my life. I dont think it is a damascus barrel,which is a plus in my opinion,even tho I have 3 damascus doubles and have no problems with them. does anyone know if the english moore doubles were damascus or solid steel ? they are very heavy barrels. the 33 cal doesnt have any names on it. I am very happy with this past weekend. I have 3 more guns I get to call mine, plus a hunting adventure I will never forget. I promised the woman I practice more and go back in a month or so and try it again to see if we could do a little better :haha: I am planning on using 10 guage next time. Thanks papaw for the wonderful gun, the only thing I could ask for more is if we lived closer so I could spend more time with you. Thanks for everything you have done :thumbsup: cheers SS
2911.jpg

2961.jpg

3011.jpg

Good shooting :thumbsup:. So who got what birds? I hope I can quail hunt with my cousin on a bird farm in a week or two but it's kind of unlikely since he works weekends now and I don't have any bird dogs.

Did they set you any roosters or just hens? The bird hunt I was on a month ago they set us 1/2 were black pheasant and half of that were roosters. We have a ton of bald eagles in our region around the Mississippi River and the eagles killed 2 roosters while we were on the other end of the field.

Cool, glad for ya. I'd like to see more vid's from ya but if you do, do yourself a favor and invest in a good editing software and use it. I'm sure you want people to watch them with interest and enjoy them, not be anoyed by them right? :thumbsup:

I agree swampy I definetly need some editing software. Maybe a better camara also.

there were both hens and cocks out but for some reason both cocks flew up and away before we were close enough.

Where were you hunting? It looks alot like around here in ND although our hunting season doesn't run that late. The wife and I are going to video some flintlock bird hunts this year and I'm pretty excited about the prospect. Thanks for sharing!

Happy Birthday! Nice video! Thanks for sharing! Glad you had such a great time! Enjoy that family of yours! They seem like nice folks!

Dave

Well SS I am glad I have help you on you life's journey. You have been a good student, I enjoyed every minute of it. You and your sister will do great. Proud of you both. Was a nice hunt and video. You will soon have me out numbered in BP guns :thumbsup: Paw Paw Dilly

Back