• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Back Action Locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Tryon .45, .50 or .54 Caliber Percussion Rifle
s219b.jpg

I have never seen one of these in person, they look kind of cool.
Has anyone here ever shot or better yet, own one of these?

They say that the back action lock is fast and strong, wonder if they make a back action flint version?

I have a few back action locks myself and that were made by L&R many moons ago. They are pretty snazzy lookin'. (They're still available from quality suppliers.)

The only 'back action flintlocks' that I've ever seen were on rifles/guns with detachable or rotating barrels where there were multiple frizzen/pan set ups..one for each barrel. I do have a picture of a mutli-shot flintlock where the lock slides backwards after each shot to align with the next charge. I'll bet the 'chain fire' problem and weight problem sorta trash canned the whole idea.

musketman, I've never fired or owned a Tryon but have handled a few and they appeared to be well made, I have seen one original Tryon and for the life of me I can't remember where. I always thought they looked kinda neat myself.

Regarding back action flintlocks I don't recall having ever seen one. I have several old black powder cartridge double rifles and all of them have back action locks and I used to own a pistol with a back action percussion lock. They are fast.

Vic

Musketman: I used to own a .45 cal and a .50 cal. The only real difference from the photo is they have color case hardening on the hammer and lock plate and on all of the furniture (except the forward 2 ramrod thimbles which are blued).
The lock is fast, but I don't think it's any faster than a regular Syler or L&R
It also has little things I like such as the barrel wedges which are pinned so they will disengage from the barrel lugs but will not come out of the stock slots and get lost.
I sold the .50 but still have the .45. I kinda wish I hadn't sold it but it's too late now. (We all have been THERE before haven't we).
I have never seen one in Flint. That would be kinda strange with a pan and frizzen hanging out the front but I suppose it could be done.
Have a Good Un!

Back