• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Colt Open Top Hammer Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While its not pretty, I believe its more than tall enough.

Attachments

• IMG_0885.JPG
    IMG_0885.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 0
While its not pretty, I believe its more than tall enough.
You can radius off the front end , put a 45 degree angle on the top back that will make it look better , not snag holster leather sustain elevation and gather light .

Attachments

• IMG_2603.JPG
    IMG_2603.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2604.JPG
    IMG_2604.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2605.JPG
    IMG_2605.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
My wife was both a looker (goddess) and taller than me. Never bothered me though she seemed to think it should. Of course it annoyed her tall guys usually had short SO.

Right now I am just going to shoot it and see where it hits using both the BP cylinder and the unmentionable 45 LC cylinder.

Not anywhere neat as the dovetail nor as adjustable for wind age but I can carve the front sight a bit and the rear to move it one way or the other. I get that down and I will pretty it up.

I am curious how others got solder to take. It sticks to the brass fine but not the pistol barrel. I did a solder form fit and then super glued it in. Solid.

My wife was both a looker (goddess) and taller than me. Never bothered me though she seemed to think it should. Of course it annoyed her tall guys usually had short SO.

Right now I am just going to shoot it and see where it hits using both the BP cylinder and the unmentionable 45 LC cylinder.

Not anywhere neat as the dovetail nor as adjustable for wind age but I can carve the front sight a bit and the rear to move it one way or the other. I get that down and I will pretty it up.

I am curious how others got solder to take. It sticks to the brass fine but not the pistol barrel. I did a solder form fit and then super glued it in. Solid.
It has to be chemically clean and a good flux used. The next element is heat enough as the barrel steel is a much slower conductor than a brass sight plus it is a much larger heat sink. Most folks are afraid of over heating barrel steel or ruining the blue but soft solder will flow long before either are harmed. The heat should be applied from underside of the barrel until the solder in the sight mortice liquefies and flows.
A simple hand held propane torch will do the job and never get barrel steel hot enough to ruin a decent blue job or change the barrel steel character. Barrel steel is normalized at 1200 degrees F. and a regular hand held propane torch cannot approach that much heat before the solder will flow.
Also lead /tin solder will flow long before any interior barrel scaling will occur but all bore oil should be removed before soldering or it will cook on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back