• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Backpack hunts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zip

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Not trekking. Just backpacking in with your muzzleloader during big game season. Was wondering what are the essential shooting and cleaning gear to carry in without going overboard. Certainly powder horn and measure, ball & patch/conical, ramrod, ramrod attachments (ball puller, stuck patch remover, jags, etc.), cap/flint supply, cleaning patches and solvents...what else? I'm thinking for a 3-4 nighter jaunt, at least. Can I leave the gun loaded the whole time and bring inside the tent at night without a problem? Our high country humidity in CA is pretty low.

Appreciate all comments. :hatsoff:

Tools to take care of your meat. Saw, rope, good sharp knife, and your pack on a frame. I hunt like this all the time. Except I go back to camp every night.

If you're in the alpine that I know down your way, pack spare water containers. You'll not only be above treeline, but also above the "water line" most of the time.

I'd have no qualms about leaving it loaded the whole time, provided you cover the nipple and muzzle in camp and overnight to limit or prevent any possible condensation. Cleaning after a miss is another issue, and I'd go prepared for that.

You will probably be ok with the moisture situation one can put the gun in a cloth scabbard as well, I carry food and gear for a couple of nights in a snapsack and shoulder bag and pick days that rain is not forecast ( don't get out for camp/hunts that often during the Nov hunt in NW Oregon) bedroll and 6'x7'tarp (about as small as I have found to be practical) painted with barn paint for shelter are tied to bag straps and all poles cut on site, I carry enough cordage for making a Travois and hanging a Deer if need be, as these Blacktails are small enough for one man to handle this way on old roads, I like to go as light as possible, one cup and small tin or copper pot to cook in, dried fruit/meat,cold cooked sausage, rice/barely and some cheese, water maybe some hardtack, I do not fully cook it into a rock if using quickly, I can't find it now but I usually have a master list with essentials for a few nights then "extras" in another color or highlited and can use this as a guide for how much weight I take at a given time/place, one can also keep notes on what was not needed or was needed and not taken, it will be a learning experience for each individual to find what is best for them/their situation. have a good hunt.

Mike Brines said:
Tools to take care of your meat. Saw, rope, good sharp knife, and your pack on a frame. I hunt like this all the time. Except I go back to camp every night.

:thumbsup: I don't think this can be emphasized enough. Bill

Thanks guys, looks like I better get crackin' on the gear. Gun season starts in Sept. I'll make a prelim run with my Abbott longbow when archery starts up in Aug.

My nephew and I hunted Colo. last fall. Took a 4-weeler in about 5 miles[stayed on the 4 wheel trail and didn't tare anything up] and then hiked in another 1/2 mile to camp and hunted from there. Filtered our water from the creek and ate mountain house meals which are pretty tasty. For cleaning the rifles we heated some water and plunged and dried them out like normal and then oiled them. You might consider taking an extra ramrod or getting a brass one cause its a bad deal to have one break when your 40 miles from town.I'd just take what you think you'll need and leave the other stuff at the truck so you could go get it if you had to. We took to much to camp and it was a pain to get everything out when it was time to go. I know its not traditional but we carried speed loaders to save weight. I carried them in a small belt bag with a ball puller,extra caps/flints and some cleaning patches. I wore a daypack with water,raingear,firestarters space blanket and all the stuff you might need to keep you alive if an accident happened. Again I know its not traditional but it works. Killed a mule deer one evening and went back after it the next day. By the time we got it deboned and then packed out in my back pack we barely got it to the locker to freeze for the trip home before they closed. I was a little warm that day but it turned out ok. Next time if we get one in the evening I think I will go ahead and bone it out and get it hanging in some black timber back in camp to cool instead of going back after it the next day. Need to have a plan to take care of the meat and how you will get it out of there if you get one. Good luck on you hunt. Dew

Thanks DEW. Like I said, I'm not trekking. Just enhancing my backpack hunt with the Hawken, so yes I'm carrying modern hunting and camping tools. Your advice is appreciated.

THere was a rule in our camp, ever since I can remember. Never ever leave a carcass over night on the ground. At least carry some baling wire and hang it on fences, trees, whatever until you can go get it. That means skinning it first. It's a lot of work, especially after dark. I carry one of those small mag-lites that I can hold in my teeth and see what I'm doing. But now they have those that strap to your head, or are even built into the cap. Good. 'Cause I might not always have my teeth. :grin:

Mike, I always have my teeth with me. I keep them in my shooting bag right next to the vent pick. :redface:

Vern

Mike Brines said:
At least carry some baling wire and hang it on fences, trees, whatever until you can go get it. That means skinning it first. It's a lot of work, especially after dark. I carry one of those small mag-lites that I can hold in my teeth and see what I'm doing. But now they have those that strap to your head, or are even built into the cap. Good. 'Cause I might not always have my teeth. :grin:

I have a little canvas bag that I made into a "Kill Kit". It has everything in it I need to immediately deal with a kill. Skinning knife, latex gloves, hand sanitizer, meat bags, head light, etc.etc. That way I can just grab it whenever I get the chance to go somewhere and I know I have the essentials. If you made up something like that if would be easy enough to just throw into your pack or bag or whatever and you'd be sure you had what you needed.

At the moment I keep everything I need to hit thew woods for a bit except the gun inside a cooler strapped into the back of my SUV.

Speakin' of teeth fellas, I got on one of these minimalist backpacking websites and they was talking about cutting your toothbrush in half to save weight. I figured I'd go one better and just brush half my teeth. Oh yeah!

Certainly powder horn and measure, ball & patch/conical, ramrod, ramrod attachments (ball puller, stuck patch remover, jags, etc.), cap/flint supply, cleaning patches and solvents...what else?

If you are shooting a cap gun you will want a nipple wrench. Just an old can will do for cleaning or if there is a creek nearby where you can clean it without getting sand involved you can clean it there.

Good advice about getting it off the ground. We usually dressed it and drug it alittle ways from the gut pile and dealt with it the next day when it was light. But next time I would like to get it boned out and back to camp if we can. I do use and recommend a good head lamp and a little flashlight of good quality.I've had good luck with the cabelas brand. I'd stay away from that cheap twine and get some good paracord. That cheap camo twine isn't worth packing home let alone up a mountain.

Zip said:
Speakin' of teeth fellas, I got on one of these minimalist backpacking websites and they was talking about cutting your toothbrush in half to save weight. I figured I'd go one better and just brush half my teeth. Oh yeah!
Teeth?! Ya mean bran new Store Bought Teeth?

Two things not mentioned yet are room in your pack for the deer, and the pack itself.

I'm assuming it's legal in CA to bone out a deer for packing, but legal details will be important on what you have to bring out along with the meat as proof of sex.

I'm here to tell you that it's easy to get enough gear, even light stuff, in a pack so that it's hard to find space for the meat. The alternative is making multiple trips between your rig and the kill site for fetching gear and meat. That's pretty common up here with larger game that simply won't fit in one trip such as moose, bou and elk. But even a larger deer can add 100 pounds to what you're already carrying.

I've never been a fan of internal frame packs for this reason. They never seem to fit me well in the first place, but they also don't seem to hold camps plus meat all that well. My favorite combo meat pack and camp pack is an old Camp Trails Freighter frame with their Moose Bag on it.

The frame is long and wide with a great waist band. It supports heavy loads well and best of all, wants to stand upright when you sit or take it off- a big deal with 100#+ loads and long walks. Just easier to get up and down on rest breaks.

The bag expands in two ways- It has a huge main compartment that gets taller when you want, and it has large side pockets down either side. There's a draw string top to bottom that collapses the main compartment and draws the two side compartments in and flat against the frame. There's room below the bag for a sleeping bag and tent against the frame, and if you can't get several days worth of camp and food in those two side compartments, you're packing too much. Meanwhile that big meat compartment is staying closed flat and ready for meat. You can literally leave your pack arranged as-is for hiking, then expand the meat bag and put over 100# of meat in the meat bag without disturbing or rearranging anything else on the pack. Dandy, especially if you have to overnight on your way out.

Dunno if that pack and bag are available today because mine is so durable it's still in good shape after 25 years of hard use, and I've had zero reason to take even a small gander at anything else available today.

Whatever pack you select or already own, think along the lines of the features and "events" I just described when planning the shank's mare logistics of your hunt.

You won't face such a thing with deer, but I well remember (like a nightmare) when two hunting companions got carried away and each shot very large Roosevelt elk bulls over 6 miles inland and 2,000' higher than the coast where we'd anchored the boat. It was December and we had a little less than 5 hours daylight in serious brown bear country. It took the four of us three days to pack all the meat out, sleeping alternate nights on the boat and in spike camps. Gotterdone, but 20 years later I'd still like to strangle those two yayhoos. :cursing:

Right now Iv'e got a badlands 4500 which works good but is kinda heavy for a day pack. Would like to find one of those freaghter frames you are using. Iv'e heard they are good stuff but I don't think they make them anymore.

i'm prety sure Cabela's sells one that is just like the freighter. I have a freighter, and wouldn't trade it for anything. I've hauled out hundreds of pounds of elk with that thing. One time I just got too tired, and hoisted the frame, pack full of meat, and all up into a tree so I could make it back to camp.

In 1987 I backpacked into the Zirkel Wilderness Area in northern Colorado on a solo elk hunt. Made the 9 miles as the crow flies in one day w/ a pack that was 62 weighed lbs plus the Mler....wouldn't do it again, ever. Ill fitting boots w/o moisture wicking linings took it's toll seeing the soles of my feet were greatly damaged during the ascent. Missed the first day of hunting but did hunt 7 days w/o success. The descent was worse than going up and the feet were badly reinjured. My pack included a 1 man tent, sleeping bag, 1 burner propane stove w/ extra fuel, spare socks and shirts, underware, food for 8 days, knives, an axe, lots of rope and all the rifle equipment. I'm sure there was quite a bit more than that listed. After this hunt found an area accessible by four wheel drive and my son still hunts there. This solo hunt was quite an education but also gave an appreciation of easier hunting areas....Fred

Back