• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Backpack hunts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Brines said:
One time I just got too tired, and hoisted the frame, pack full of meat, and all up into a tree so I could make it back to camp.

Been there, done that!!!! :rotf:

Another thing I noticed about the bag. It's grown a bunch in 30 years. Time was, I could hoist and carry as much meat as I could wedge in there. Now I can put so much meat in it, I can't even lift it. :wink:

Fred,just think how much fun it would have been if you would have got an elk! I have thought about doing something like that myself. I have alot of the same gear that you mentioned. But I think I would have to hire an outfitter to pack it out if I was very far in at all.

Thanks fellas for all the added info. I'm reading through everything. On the reviews of other forums I wound up buying a Eberlestock J104 internal frame pack with an expandable main compartment. But I can't for the life of me see how it's gonna carry everything. Now granted I don't have the lightest, smallest tent, sleeping bag, etc. and the deer in CA are not the biggest but this pack still looks questionable. I'm gonna give it a try this season and if it doesn't work look for one of those freighter packs mentioned here. I still have a couple of external frame packs, including a 'Nam ALICE pack.

Like I said, I'm gonna read up on everything discussed here and PM'd to me, but right now it's time to hit the sack. Shoot straight.

You're correct about a packer...already had made inquiries as to availabilty. The biggest lesson learned concerned my boots which were Brownings and which didn't even begin to do the job. Before the next elk hunt I had a custom pair of boots made by Russell which were satisfactorily used on all subsequent elk hunts. After this hunt, I went through the "pack" trying to eliminate items to lighten the weight, but w/o success. Also, a solo hunt can be troublesome if injured as I was. A companion lightens the loads and also is insurance in case of injury. The year of my retirement went on a solo 2 week "tour of the Rockies" but went into each location for only 2-3 days which lightened the pack somewhat. The mountains "mystify" me and really do their "magic thing" to me....Fred

I have that pack also. I can fit everything for a 5-day hunt trip no problem. Its bigger than it looks. The only thing that gets tricky is my sleeping bag, but I just lash it to the top with some rope. I roll up my little thermarest and strap it uner the bag too.

I go tent-less, but carry a nylon 10' square tarp for a diamond shelter, so that may be a little smaller too. Food is the space killer, but its gone for the hike out so thats easier too.

My only gripe is that everything in that main compartment is lumped together, but for packing meat it looks great ( I have yet to kill aything on any of my few pack-in hunts), so its a minor gripe.

I usually have a really small day pack or larger possibles bag that I have all the stuff I need for hunting forays that I strap to the outside of the main compartment. That way I can hike in, pull off my day bag, and go hunting without having to dig around in the main bag and forget something that I need for hunting.

As an aside...that pack is great quality! not a scratch after several trips. For the past several months its had a 50lb bag of sand and a dumbell in it too as I get ready for my elk hunt this fall and it doesn't even know its there! No popped seams, no lose straps, still supportive as the first day.

Jim

One thing I'd sure change is that word "tent."

For solo hunts in good weather you might be just fine with a small blue tarp. I can't do that up here due to rapid and unpredicted weather changes, but it was my standard in your region.

Now, for "good weather" I carry a little bivy that weighs a pound. If the odds are going up that the weather will be sour, I carry a little "flashlight" style 2-man tent that weighs 3 pounds, but gives enough room for comfort if I'm stuck in the tent for 3 or 4 days due to fog or storms. Many was the time in your part of the world that my kit consisted of a blanket and small tarp "bedroll" style with neither tent nor sleeping bag. Total weight was probably less than 2 pounds.

Same strategy can be used for your sleeping bag, too. You can get away with a whole lot lighter bag if you simply go to bed wearing your longjohns and wear a stocking cap. My lightweight bag weighs only 2 pounds, and my "heavy" weighs 3 pounds. In good weather my bivy and light sleeping bag account for 3 pounds of pack weight. In worse weather my tent and bag add up to 6 pounds.

A lot of folks out here hike in with running-type shoes, and carry their boots for hunting. Just something else to carry, but it will save your feet.

Yes, my boots are well-worn and broken in. I'll have to give that tarp thing due consideration. I have lightweight one and two-man tents. But I can see the weight savings in using a tarp. Gun season starts in Sept. and lasts through the end of Oct./first weekend of Nov. This spring was unusually wet and the summer has been mild. Folks were skiing in the high peaks on July 4. Our past winter was almost historic in terms of snowfall. If I find a lower elevation spot worth hunting I will probably car camp. Too many roads/trails to make packing in worthwhile. But if I go up high I'll certainly rely on backpacking to get away from the crowds (if that's possible in CA).

I know what you mean about boots. The first time I went hunting up there I had a pair of gore-tex rocky's that I thought were good boots. It took my feet a couple of months to heal up from 9 days in the mountains wearing those things. I ended up spending some money and bought some of those cabelas perfekt hunters by Meidl. Worth every penny! Didn,t have any trouble last year.

Latest posts

Back