• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Backwoodsman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cougarmagnum

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been reading since, 1994, a GREAT magazine called Backwoodsman. It has all kinds of backwoodsy style articles from black powder guns, to survival, to self reliant info, and all kinds of good stuff related to those. It's hard to find, but is well worth the effort! You have to read an issue to appreciate it, it's not like all those other so-called outdoor magazines. The address on the web is, www.backwoodsmanmag.com

i have a couple of issues and when i find them i buy them :thumbsup:....maybe i'll just get a subscription.............bob

Backwoodsman is GREAT! Happened to see an issue on a news stand in Maine and bought it. After reading this one issue I knew I had to subscribe. Lots of stuff in it on black powder guns, primative weapons and do it your self outdoors projects. Very down to earth with us common(work hard for the money) folks in mind. No ads for expensive hunting equipment and guns just down home wisdom, tips and pointers. This publication got me hooked on cap and ball revolvers. Hoping some day to have the tools and time to make one of the many home made knives featured in Backwoodsman. Hope they keep publishing for a very long time.

Don

Can't wait for the next issue.

Every now and then I come across an issue at my local Walmart and always buy it. It is an excellent Magazine with a ton of useful information, ideas, and articles.

I should subscribe, too.

I'm a long time subscriber. A good mixture of blackpowder, gunsmithing, primitive weapons, survival, fishing, cabin building, homestead and farm, etc. You never know what's going to be in the next issue.

The only complaint I have about "Backwoodsman" is that it's published bi-monthly. :m2c:

I used to suscribe to "Backwoodsman". Still pick up a copy now and then when I see one on the magazine rack. Used to suscribe to "Wilderness Way" a bit back too. Both good mags for sure. But now I have a subscription to "Buckskinner". More articles dedicated to "exactly" what I'm interested in.

Hey, Freetrapper. How much did Stumblin pay you to say that. :crackup: I pick up backwoodsman on occasion, but Buckskinner,and Muzzleloader are my two main Magazines. I heard that Stumblin lets ya pet the Platypus hat If ya mentions the magazine. :haha: Bill

I subscribed about a week before I heard of, and subscribed to, Buckskinner...glad to have them both...with MuzzleBlast and Muzzleloader, that gives me four "read ever page" magazines. Backwoodsman reminds me of an old magazine called "Fur,Fish and Game"...that used to give down home solutions and so[url] on...things[/url] like how to convert your milking boots into hunting boots (I'm not kidding)...it was really aimed at folks living a hard scrabble existance...I think I subscribed to it as a 12 yr old in 1944...Hank

Last edited by a moderator:
Fur Fish and Game is still around. Good mag. Speaking of the Platawookie hat, when is the new April issue supposed to be out?

I'm sure it's a platypus hat, the first thing that comes to mind when you first see it, is DUCK! :shocking:

I got "The Best of Backwoodman" volumes too. I beleive there are 3 volumes out there at the moment. Kinda like a mini backwoodsman encyclopedia. Alot of all the past articles in a compact little volume. If you like the mag you'll probably like these too.

Man have I got hooked on that Mag. I subscribed this year and can wait to get the new issue. Super info! :imo: :results:

Yep... Been a subscriber since I found the mag several years ago. Really interesting reading. I save all my back issues for reference. Anyone who has an interest in muzzleloading or old timey ways should be a subscriber.

Back