• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BAD turkey load idea

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't say it was safe or smart, just that it can be done! I would expect more chamber preasure for sure!!! Eventually I would like a .36 cal flintlock just for turkeys and plinking but seeing the wide variety of game you take with a smoothbore has me thinking about one of those, I just have to check out our laws a little more befor I decide!

War Hawk said:
Eventually I would like a .36 cal flintlock just for turkeys and plinking but seeing the wide variety of game you take with a smoothbore has me thinking about one of those, I just have to check out our laws a little more befor I decide!
It would seem logical if you can already use a PRB out of a rifle, then it should follow you could certainly use a PRB one out of a smoothbore. But...governments being what they are, definitely check, LOL.

As an aside, IMO, if hunting a variety of small game is appealing to you, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven if you get a smoothbore. They open up a huge range of hunting opportunities, even trap / skeet targets, that you wouldn't otherwise be able to do with just a rifle. I like my rifles but to be honest, my smoothbores have me much more involved with things year round now that I have them.

PS: Remember, if you have a rifle of appropriate barrel size that hardly ever gets used anymore...or a used one with a bad bore...you can usually have them bored out to a smooth gauge for very little cost.

Unfortunatly, I saw your fowlers and I don't think I can be happy with a reworked TC :wink: I am trying to work up the courage to e-mail Jackie Brown as he sells some good looking guns in the white at about the same cost as a parts kit. B.C. has few muzzle loader laws but a smooth bore may fall under a shotgun limiting me to 20ga and larger for deer and black bear with larger big game off the menu(Elk and Moose can't be hunted with shotgun)

You must have looked at some very old posts...yes, the T/C's with GM drop in 20 & 28ga smoothbore barrels were excellent for a number of years, then I switched to long guns for the past several years, including these 2 smooth rifles:

20ga
A10121062cal10Pointersomedarker.jpg

20ga
041412B-OpeningDayTurkeyFull1-1.jpg

20ga
090312-DDovesChristened20gaEarlyVirginiaFlintlock.jpg

20ga
11191062calNo5shot-Squirrelcropped.jpg

28ga
11091154cal-28gaSmoothboreVirginia8PointerDarker.jpg

28ga
09101228gaEarlyVirginiaDovedebut.jpg

28ga
120612Squirrel28gaEVASmoothboreCropped.jpg

What I was trying to say was that after seeing your very fine longrifles, my TC Hawken just doesn't measure up. I never tire of viewing your pictures, thank you for posting them.

Back