• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bad weather hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do you flintlock fans do?

Grease the pan edges? Feather in the hole and dry?

Or do you own a percussion gun for bad days.

Bought a gun kit in flint with a style incorrect lock, but it will be a target gun. Thinking of buying the right lock for the gun and either upgrading the lock from the builer, or using the lock for the next build, a hunting rifle to replace a factory built 54 cal.

+1 on the cows knee. I sat one January morning in the drizzling rain for about three hours. I didn't see any deer and was getting ready to go home when a red fox strolled by. I thought I might as well give it a crack as I figured the gun wouldn't go anyways. To my surprise it went of in a very timely fashion and the result was a dead fox 35 yards away. I keep some mink oil rubbed in mine and it works quite well. Btw, 50 cal. and fox are not a good match up if you are in the fur business :td:

Several approaches...another is if you want to protect the entire long gun, a full length waterproof cover that drapes over the top works fine too.

I'm with Stump! cows knee tried and true. last years December muzz only season, I was out in a couple brief showers which turned to steady rain, which turned to freezing rain, then sleet. when my last shred of my good sense took over, I slogged back to my truck, pulled the cows knee off the lock and "unloaded" my rifle into the ground with nary a hesitation from it. then spent the next 24 hours watching it snow from inside the house. game called on account of interference! :surrender:

Back