• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baiting for deer and hogs.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think Colorado is all open. We have tight areas that you can't even walk through.

Also remember that in the open areas the game can see you easier too. It's not like we can take a long shot with a sidelock muzzleloader and PRB's.

So, how do we get close in open areas? I love Colorado, but it's not as easy as some think.

Centerfire and scopes? Yes, much easier. Too easy for me.

greenmountainboy said:
we are all in the wrong when we point fingers at each other. that is how the anties hunters win.

While I see your point; that's the kind of thinking that started the Cold War and armed Al Quaeda. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. But sooner or later you pay for making bed-fellows of folks who you don't agree with. There are plenty of non-hunters who aren't anti-hunters. If we keep them with us we keep hunting. And we may keep them by not offending them. Why should a scoped muzzleloader that uses modern powder and projectiles have a special season?

But I am all for all who use "legal means" to hunt. The statement I was responding to was that open terrain is for stalking and dense terrain is not. I can't imagine trying to walk up on an antelope or mulie in grass. No cover. I'd be so out of my element as to be useless. I'd much rather take the "grouse shot" at six yards, with bow, gun, or rifle, on a buck that jumps up after I have traveled 100 yards in three hours still hunting like cold molasses in our local heavy cover.

I've enjoyed hunting for a lifetime and have gradually learned to do a halfway decent job of scouting, locating, figuring, planning how to bag deer every now and then.
I'm lucky to have a couple spots with some good red and white oak trees close by some large dense thickets that are bedding / sanctuaries for deer.

And using the results of all the work I put into preparing for deer seasons, I set up ambushes with old technology Flintlocks and PRBs, overlooking major exit trails from those dense thickets that leads into the oaks. During the rut the bucks come up out of those thickets into the oak flats cruising for hot Does that come through the oaks eating this bait:

091310acornsinhat.jpg

stumpkiller just to be clear i was not pointing fingers at you. I just post after reading the whole post. I to like still hunting and stocking.
The none-hunting public are not offended by guys hunting with muzzle loaders with scopes! They don't see them. they are not there in the field.
Guys that hunt with sticks and stones are offended by muzzle loaders with scopes. It's other hunter talking bad about other hunters that makes ALL OF US LOOK BAD !.

Capper said:
Don't think Colorado is all open. We have tight areas that you can't even walk through.

Also remember that in the open areas the game can see you easier too. It's not like we can take a long shot with a sidelock muzzleloader and PRB's.

So, how do we get close in open areas? I love Colorado, but it's not as easy as some think.

Centerfire and scopes? Yes, much easier. Too easy for me.
Hey Capper dont get me wrong. I have a lot of respect for mountain hunters. thats why we have more than one method of huntin. Different enviroments present different challenges and solutions. All I was sayin was the methods some prefer in Coloroado don't work so well for folks in East Texas or Florida. We can all use information on mthods used by other hunters and adapt and apply them to our needs. Thats the point of this forum I believe. On that note i will say that some folks take advatge of Muzzleloading season and so forth. Inlines with high powered scopes rub me the wrong way. Just like crossbows during archery season.

as for bait never put out any. Just used the bait god left there. or get in between bedding areas and the food grown by farms. Tho if I had the chance to hunt hogs or bear in a places that it was legal I think that I would use what ever bait the local hunters used. Have used decoys. Bear,duck,turkey,goose. I don't think I could rattle dear just watching it on a video makes my head hurt.

Hammerschild said:
On that note i will say that some folks take advatge of Muzzleloading season and so forth. Inlines with high powered scopes rub me the wrong way. Just like crossbows during archery season.

Amen.

Please note,
greenmountainboy is not me
Greenmtnboy
I was wondering why I got several email from forum buddies wondering when I changed my name.
maby one of us should change our title enough so as not to get confused with each other.
:hatsoff:

No worries Pete,
Hey man is it snowing over there?
It's dumping here in the Park making second elk season guiding a wicked pain in the a$$.
My new clients don't like the walking stuff and I don't like not killing elk.
All pays the same tho.
:thumbsup: :wink:

No snow yet, but I love the stuff. So, I hope it comes.

Easy to track, I can be quieter, and it'a easier to keep the meat cooler. What's not to like. :)

Greenmtnboy said:
Please note,
greenmountainboy is not me
Greenmtnboy
I was wondering why I got several email from forum buddies wondering when I changed my name.
maby one of us should change our title enough so as not to get confused with each other.
:hatsoff:

There is no mistaking your avatar. I get a kick out of it every time I see it. :hatsoff:

Its not legal in Bama to bait. A friend of mine told me about this and I gave it a try.
Find a stump thats about half rotten and pour a gal of CLOROX all over it . I tryed it and went back to check it in one week. The deer had destroyed the stump and there was deer manure all over the place. We didnt hunt over it but it sure brought them in.

Wayne/Al

Back