• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradmartin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I could have sworn that I saw a ball bag that looked like two stiff flask shaped sides of leather, open at the top, that you would have to squeeze to open. The stitching was done with raw hide cord. I think.

You would swear to this???

Are you looking for one to purchase, view or study?

Do you just need reassurance that they exist?

:hmm:

No, study, and yes. It looked like it might be a good design for quick access with out having to untie a bag. (if I saw it and didn't dream it or something :youcrazy:)

If not I'll try to make one anyway to see how it works. It might not be P.C., but I'm nowhere near there yet anyway.

I have seen similar bags

BUT, they were full of nickles, dimes and pennies

:crackup:

Sorry, I jusy couldn't resist that.

October Country has a leather flask looking

ball bag, but it has a stopper plug in it.

No problem. If you didn't someone else would have.

It didn't have a plug.
I'm just trying to find out where I saw it.

Coupla things...

How many balls do these bags hold? Say....54 cal?

Er...seems to me, I have seen ball bags in the men's clothing area at some stores...called.."supporters"... ::

Mine holds about 30 50cal. So maybe about 25 54cal? Looks to be the same size as the one I have.
Lehigh..

I have made a few of the sqeeze top type and they work pretty well.4/6oz leather for the pieces at the top and a softer weight for the bag seems to work best for me. :results:

This might be what you are looking for..no I don't think it is but I already posted it so you can look anyway.

BALL BAG

My daughter has one she won as a prize over 20 years ago. It has a stopper on the top. They carved a nice design in the leather. It's stiff like a flask and has a stopper on the top. It's made for 45's. S

They can be made by wetting the leather and then jamming in a bunch of rice(think I read to use rice). Then once everything is dry just knock out the rice.

Now if you really want to go all traditional..here's a genuine real ball[url] bag..made[/url] from a kangaroo's ball bag.

Roosack.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, someone had to bring this one up...

Seems a bit cheesey, but my first ball bag was made from the cover of an old softball. My son and I hit that ball so many times that the cover was loose. I cut the rest of the stitching and looked at it. I folded one half over onto itself and thought it made a handy ball bag pattern if I cut the connecting piece. I sewed it up and made a bag for him to use in his YHEC shoots.

I have made several more over the years from that pattern. On later versions I also used a bit of copper tubing which I flared at each end to make a rigid end to pour shot out of.

I used a wooden dowel to whittle and file a stopper which I secured with a leather thong. Draw out your pattern onto the wood, place the wood in a vise and rasp it into shape. Use a thin saw to split the part that plugs the tube and use a wedge to adjust for tightness.

Worked to contain anything from .50 cal to #8 shot.

I guess the big bore guys could just use bigger tubing.

YMHS,
CrackStock

I thought about making one myself. Went to Michael's arts & craft supply store for the leather and found that the leather was more expensive than a indian bag kit that you put together yourself. Took about 20 minutes to make and cost was $5. It isn't very big but I use it for hunting purposes only. Otherwise I take the box of rb's to the range.

Good luck!!!

Now if you really want to go all traditional..here's a genuine real ball[url] bag..made[/url] from a kangaroo's ball bag.

My version of the kangaroo pouch. Turned a funnel insert and plug from some box elder, held in place by some hide glue and leather lace that also keeps the cap from getting lost.

The new owner needed it to be more PC, so he did some beadwork to cover the stamping.

ballsak.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That reminds me. JeffinNZ had a flair for hair-on ball bags. I was going to ask for one, but I figured the flinching would effect my accuracy - even before pulling the trigger. :shocking: Just the thought brings a tear to the eye.

ballbag2.jpg

Poor little wallabys & roos. :boohoo:

Back