• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ball mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This is my first post, so go easy on me. I am looking for a place that handles .495 round ball molds, but not in the Lee or Lyman style. I would like to find a old style to carry in my shooting bag. I believe they are called a scissor style. Anyone know of such a place to get one?

Sounds like you'tre looking for what is called a "bag mould" (ie: to carry in your bag)...don't know if you've tried any of the major ML suppliers, but a good starting point is at the top of this ML forum...there's a topic category containing a starter list of various ML suppliers, links, etc

I've checked with all of them except the one from the U.K.. I never ordered anything from there before ::I am a little bugged by over seas orders. I never found anyone who handles a Rapine bag mould in the .495 caliber. they all go from .490 to a size bigger than .50. Do you know anything about the fellow from the U.K. I believe it was Jeff T. Bullet moulds?

I believe they are called a scissor style. Anyone know of such a place to get one?

Dixie Gun Works has this type, however, it looks modern...
dixie.jpg

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_101&products_id=7945&osCsid=acf41e3e28ea8e53e3ba8e11a6ffddfa

I have a few jeff tanner moulds.They are not bag moulds they fit lyman handles.If you order a mould on saturday or sunday it will arive by friday with invoice to send payment to a california address.BTW his moulds cast a better ball than lyman moulds. The moulds I bought cost 22.50 including air mail shipping from the UK.

Hi folks,
The Log Cabin Shop sells Rapine, about as authentic as
you will get.
Regards,
Charlie47

I hope Rapines round ball molds are better than their bullet molds. I'll never buy another mold from them.

Vic

The Rapine mould that my bro bought for the Fergusson rifle he built, a .65 cal ball mould, looks identical to the Lyman moulds except was brass, I think, and takes the same handles as Lyman. I have heard they have old style bag moulds but haven't seen any.

Thanks for all the information. I wanted a small bag mould, old looking, in .495 size. I guess I am still mouldless. Thanks anyway.

A few years ago I ordered a 340 gr. bullet mold for my 500 BPE double rifle....quality sucked. It miked too small, the castings were off center from each side of the bullet, lube grooves and driving bands were not symmetrical and for lack of a better word the nose of the bullet had waves horizontally throughout the circumference. I can pour perfect bullets within one or two grains with my Lyman, RCBS, Hoch and NEI molds so I know it isn't me, that and I've been casting for almost 30 years. My Rapine mold is a piece of junk. I could have done as well with a Dremel tool and a porting stone. Maybe the guy who built it just had a bad day, but I'll never own another.

Vic

Hi sharps4590,
Sorry you had such a bad experience with the Rapine bag
mold. However, my experience was just the opposite. Once again if someone is looking for a period bag mold, Rapine has it. Mine was excellent, so was their service. I bought that one direct. The feller that made your mold might have had a bad day with the little missus at home. :boohoo:
Regards,
charlie47

claypipe.....I love it!! w aloha? Forgive me....I am not trying to be a smart aleck....is it "Voilia" you meant? Who can understand how the French spell, much less how they pronounce what they spell....us or the English either for that matter.

Vic

Waloha....voillia.....voila'....or whoop de doo....It still makes the old Turner Kirkland hair curler mold look about 100235% better looking dont it? Good job there fellar!

Clay Pipe, you win the cigar for the day. great idea and looks darn good too. I may have to give that one a try. Thanks.

As for that cheroot, I'll take a Havana leaf, handrolled on the thigh of a young virgin girl.:haha: Thank you gents for the compliments.:redface: Maybe I'll finally get off my hind end and reshape the head. Now, where did I put my files and dremel tool.::

If I can find a smoke done up like that I may keep it for myself. Sorry Claypipe. :eek:

Latest posts

Back