• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ball mould for a 62 cal rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've just ordered a 62 cal from the rifle shoppe. Does anyone have a recommendation as to what ball mould to purchase? Has anyone shot this calibure with any sucess?

You can get a .600 rd ball mould made by Lee from www.midsouthshooters.com for around $18. Not to much of an investment to give that size a try. A friend of mine has a .62 rifle and he uses that size in it. I used that size in my .62 smoothbores too. :m2c:

I have a .62cal. [.625] barrel on a underhammer, the barrel is still white, but I have been shooting it some. The 610s seem to load OK and accuracy is good.

I like heavy loads, so I have been shooting 140FF, it will tear the patch if I forget to put 2 - .72cal x .025 over the shot cards over the powder first.

I like lyman molds, even with the big ulgy sprue that they leave. Very good quality. Start with a .610 ball.

I have a Getz barrel on my .62 fowler and I load a .600 RB. It loads TIGHT with a .010 patch. You never said if the gun you ordered was smoothbore or rifled. I'd try a .600 either way. If it's rifled, you may want to try a .595.

Thanks again
I am ordering a Jaeger in 62, rifled of course. A group and I started to hunt primitive. We wanted some punch. We will be in a high black bear populated area. I figured this cal. would be great for Bear, Deer, and for that matter moose. I will try a lot of different loads and work to the highest hitting power that still keeps reasonably accurate.
Thanks loyalist dawg
Ps long live the king!!!

What up Dawg? Make sure you measure your bore before ordering any moulds. My Colerain .62 Jaeger barrel is a .61 cal :eek: I use a .600 ball with .018 pillow ticking on top of 75 grns of ffg Swiss. At around 90 grns I start blowing unburned powder out with the ball( this was pointed out to me at a recent shoot). I coned my barrel and this combo loads well. I guess a shorter barrel won't handle too much powder. Mine is 31" I really thought I would be using 100 grns or more in this big bore monster but I'm just wasting powder on anything over 80 grns or so. In the beginning I ordered a few balls from TOTW in .600 and .610 just to see what I needed. You may have a totally different experience and I hope it's a pleasent one. :hatsoff:

When you get it made, email me & I will mail you a few .600 & some .610 balls & you can try them & that way you won't buy a mold that will not work. :thumbsup:

Birddog6

Gentlemen I agree, if it smok'en and stinking it's...
That was great Thanks...
best to yea's "log live the KING!!
Loyalist Dawg :agree:

I aggree with birddog6, you could call the rifleshoppe and have them mike the barrel they're gonna use and that way you'll have a better idea of what size you are gonna be shootin. You are going to have a lot of combinations, depending first on true bore size, then do you want a heavy or thin patch. It's all gonna BORE down to your true bore size :haha: Bill

Them darn .62's....

I have a Dimmick that really like .615's with .018 Pillow ticking patches (lubed with plain ole spit or Lehigh Valley lube with 80 grains of Goex 2F.)

Works exceedingly well and accurately from 25 to 200 yards.

Best friends .62, that slugs exactly the same as mine can't use this combo at all. His eats .610's and a .010 lubed @ 80 grains of 2F Goex...

Keep at it.

D2F

I aggree with birddog6, you could call the rifleshoppe and have them mike the barrel they're gonna use and that way you'll have a better idea of what size you are gonna be shootin. You are going to have a lot of combinations, depending first on true bore size, then do you want a heavy or thin patch. It's all gonna BORE down to your true bore size :haha: Bill

That's the best idea, then test a few diameters (from different moulds) first. My 20 gauge is .618 diameter and throws a .600 Rapine and Lyman nicely with .018 pillow tick but I can't get a Lee .600 round ball down the barrel without a rock. I don't know if they cast big or not, but Lyman, Rapine AND my Cannon Mike gang mould all run fine, so, I'm guessing Lee is a touch bigger.

Anyone else find this? :results:

I've just ordered a 62 cal from the rifle shoppe. Does anyone have a recommendation as to what ball mould to purchase? Has anyone shot this calibure with any sucess?

Love them 62's :front: This moose fell to a 615 PRB ahead of 200gr of 2ff

buckskinner2.jpg

buckskinner.jpg

Stumblin,

Ball size is based on the phases of the moon and the degree of solar flares getting through the ozone !

Good grief, it gets so weird sometimes that I've gone to casting large numbers of balls at one time to avoid the variables....

Oh yes, it's got to be the phases of the moon.....and, out here in Kansas, we have no trees to block them solar thingeee's...

Cheers!

D2F

NWTF Longhunter.

Would you still use 200 grains of 2FF?

That was a load I used on my moose hunt. For deer I use 120gr. of 2ff, that's about the lightest heavy load that shoots well out of my gun.

Back