• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ball & patch combo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my 50's a .018 ticking(cut at the muzzle)patch and .490 ball works great.Best thing to do is try and get a few differant thickness of patches and maybe some .490's and .495's and take your time finding the right load.Working up loads for patch and ball is one of the best parts of getting into muzzleloading. :imo:

wat a good ball and patch combo for a .50 cal?

There are many variations that others can comment on from their experiences...mine are that I've only tried two combinations, and only in TC .50cal barrels:

.015" prelubed cotton patches + Hornady .490 balls
.018" prelubed pillow ticking patches + Hornady .490 balls

The .015" cotton patch works good for me, but the tighter, thicker, stronger .018" pillow ticking patch works better so that's what I settled on.

.015" prelubed cotton patches + Hornady .490 balls
.018" prelubed pillow ticking patches + Hornady .490 balls

Those are good. I'd start at the 0.015" and, if accuracy wasn't working out, switch to the 0.018". I'm currently using 0.020" in my .50 and I'm hoping to work out a good load with an 0.018 or 0.015 so I don't have to wipe between each shot.

If you can't get pillow ticking, take a pair of denim pants and make shorts out of it, any material cut off will make great patching material, as long as it is free of holes...

Latest posts

Back