• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ballistics calculator

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumbs

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Not sure this goes here but don't know where else to put it.

I was wondering if anyone has found a free ballistics calculator online for a Mac.

I want to be able to put in my bullet weight, muzzle velocity and range and have the calculator give me a chart and graphic as to the trajectory of the round. Has anyone found one?

thanks

I use hand loads dot com

This isn't one you download to your computer though.

I do have a simple one for my iPhone. It's a free app.

That's the one I have.
Well, actually I have that one and the earlier version of it both downloaded to my computer. :grin:

I'm running Windows XP and they both work great. :)

I've certainly wanted to use this one, but it's not compatible with Mac unfortunately. Wish it was, but had to switch from PC due to continual problems with PC's despite using top notch security.

Just setup a virtual Windows environment on your Mac and that will allow you to run Windows on the Mac OS so you won't have to worry so much about virus problems.

If you have smart phone or ipod look for the Shooter app. You can then email to your Mac and print it out.

Untitled.jpg

It will save the rifle and projectile allowing an instant generation anytime by just selecting the rifle the projectile and do a lot more. But you need an accurate BC and velocity.

Dan

This gives different results than the program that billnpatti and Zonie use. Your inputs to their program give a 200 yard drop of 28.3 inches. Based on my shooting, I think this is close to what I actually get.

I just tried using Dan's numbers in my computers "old" roundball trajectory calculator and assuming I entered them correctly, they do indeed disagree with the numbers shown above.

I entered a MV of 1900 fps, caliber of .535, aim point at 120 yards, height of sights above bore at .70.

The results at 200 yards is: velocity= 801 fps, drop below point of aim = -31.8"

Using the "new" calculator program for the same input it says the resulting velocity at 200 yards is 799 fps, drop below point of aim is -32.9"

As a side note, the program says the ball weight is within 0.3 grains of Dan's value.

I don't know what the Ballistic Coefecient for my programs is but the value in Dan's results is very close to what the LYMAN BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK says a .535 diameter roundball is.

This is from Hornady's calculator. I have another well repspected Ballistics program on my iMac upstairs but its not worth the trouble

Hornady535.jpg

If your shooting experience is different that the programs so then consider.
What is the actual zero range? If the 200 yard drop is remarkably different than that shown here then the zero range is probably not the same.
What is the altitude?
What is the actual velocity?
Was there a head or tail wind? This is usually minor at RB ranges.
Cross winds can effect the projectile in both the horizontal and the vertical. But again its not significant at the ranges we usually shoot game with the RB though it may well show up if trying to shoot a match on paper in a cross wind where being out an inch is a serious detriment to a good score.
Unless the shot is chronographed as the same velocity it will be unlikely to agree with some set velocity put into the program. My 54 does not make 1900 exactly and I have not bothered to check it for several years now, 6 maybe.
That tables primary reason for being was to demonstrate that zeroing a hunting rifle at 100 is a mistake. A hunting rifle is not a target rifle from the stand point of ideal trajectory. Unless all shots are over known ranges or at close range.
For example if the 1900 fps load is zeroed at 100 we get 7.8 inches of drop from LOS at 150. If for some reason our velocity is not exactly 1900? If its 1860 then the drop will be even more. If shooting at smaller deer like some of the smaller whitetails this can result in a leg shot off with a center hold. Making the zero at 120 will reduce this to 5" +-. So if the range is misjudged by 10% its less critical.
None of these are a be all-end all. There are many things that can produce changes. This is why while these programs can be useful one must shoot his rifle at various ranges with a clean bore as it would be in a hunting situation. Find out where the ball actually falls. Where they are really valuable, to the RB shooters is in giving the shooter an idea of where he should zero his rifle for hunting.
In modern rifles where shooting at targets may run to a mile or more (a mile is the new 1000 yards some say) nowadays having something to give a ball park windage and elevation setting is nice. This will not replace shooting and using a range book to record actual results at a given range and weather conditions. But this is far from the round ball shooters needs but its a partial explanation of how "Shooter" and other similar products came into being.

Dan

Back