• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol first experience

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First, must admit I do sometimes use a suppository gun. :redface:
Because I have heard so much good about Ballistol, I finally broke down and bought some yesterday.
Today, I used on my 30-06 bolter. Very impressed. It clean gunk out of my 'clean' barrel. I lubed the bolt with it and there is a very dramatic difference in how much smoother it works. Action and slide, like a different gun completely. Previous lube has been CLP Break Free. I do mean "dramatic" difference. Must qualify that this one use/test is not anything conclusive but it sure is encouraging. Next to the bp burners.

Now that's funny to me! We're just about as backwards as we can be.

I've used it on and off in my muzzleloaders, but never tried it in a suppository gun. Gotta try it now! :rotf:

Thanks.

Which reminds me of the story of the guy who had a severe case of constipation.

He went to his doctor and the doctor gave him some suppository's and told him to use them 3 times a day.

Several days later the doctor called him to ask if they helped. He replied, "For all the good those things did I should have shoved 'um up my &&&!"

I have used it on my modern guns too and also noticed alittle difference. The one thing that bugs me is how well it mixes with water. I can't bring my self to fully trust it to prevent rust on my firearms that I am not planning on using for an extended period of time.

Frank, I use the same diluted mixture on the guns we don't talk about that I do bp.
Cuts everything.
Then lube straight.
Really does great on that Comrade stuff too.

I've been using Ballistol on my bp guns for a long time and I think it is about the best stuff on the market. I use it straight to lube my patches and mix some with water to clean my bp guns in the field before heading home. At home, I use hot soapy water to finish cleaning my bp guns. Ballistol is great stuff but I do not trust it to prevent rust. It probably does a good job of preventing rust but I use Barricade to do that. I just don't know why someone has not made a nice manly aftershave that smells like Ballistol ;>) :blah:

I've read that some pretty knowledgeable people won't use Ballistol for long term storage (I think this means years). I use it for weeks or months storage a lot.

(The mixing with water is what makes it displace water so well.)

Ballistol is mildly acidic so don't put Ballistol on brass as the brass will be eaten/etched. Ballistol stored in a brass container goes blue green in colour and the bass gets etched.

I but ballistol on some old harden leather lace, it did soften it but a few month later the lace broke at the slightest tug, the lace had the strength of wet spaghetti. So I don't apply it to new or good leather just to be of the safe side of causing long term destruction of a nice leather item.

Ballistol has a strong bad smell but the smell does go away.

It turns milk white when mix or exposed to water.

It is works wonders on shooting patches using the dry patch method. Which is the only thing I now use it for now.

For rust protection on firearms I use EEZOX.
For cleaning I use water, alcohol or solvents specific to what I am trying to clean off.

kansan1 said:
I have used it on my modern guns too and also noticed alittle difference. The one thing that bugs me is how well it mixes with water. I can't bring my self to fully trust it to prevent rust on my firearms that I am not planning on using for an extended period of time.

I believe that may be a clue why it DOES protect so well: water doesn't get trapped beneath the Ballistol but instead can evaporate through it. :idunno: That being said, I clean the bore with a water/Ballistol mixture, dry everything real thoroughly, then coat with straight Ballistol. It works very well for me.

I have been using Ballistol ever since I started shooting muzzle loaders. I mix it 50/50 for field cleaning my flinters with pinned barrels. Sure does a good job of braking down that black powder residue.

Given the smell of Ballistol, I find it humorous that it was invented by a guy from Cologne, Germany... :shocked2: :haha:

I like it for the dry patch method and use it to clean between shots on old torn up t shirts it really collects the fouling.

Back