• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol Patch Lube Experiment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buenger228

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a simple patch lube/bore solvent/rust preventative system to simplify my black powder travel box and hunting bag. I have been using Bore Butter for lube, TC's #13 to clean, and BC's Sheath to protect metal. All of the products did an excellent job, but it's just too much to keep up with. I've read about the wonders of Ballistol, and would like to switch over to it for all of my longrifle's needs. I don't see any problem using a diluted solution as a cleaner or pure Ballistol to protect the metal, but the jury's still out on the patch lube. I noticed that a bunch of you are using wads of some kind between your powder and patched ball to keep the lube from spoiling the charge, and it got me a little worried. I've never done this before with the Bore Butter, and I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do it with Ballistol. I did a little experiment-

I poured about 15 grains of Goex FFFg on a cotton cleaning patch and pushed it together in a pile. I then put 5 or 6 drops of pure Ballistol directly on the powder, which covered it completely. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then I took a match to it. The powder flashed immediately and completely burned away, leaving barely a blemish on the cotton patch.

It seems to me that if that much pure Ballistol didn't kill that small amount of powder, then a patch that is not dripping with the stuff should be fine over a charge. It's very clear that Ballistol mixed with water dissolves black powder fouling, but maybe the pure stuff gets along with unburned powder well enough to make our smoke-pole-totin' lives that much better. Any thoughts?

Just use pre-lubed patching strips. Ballistol-water solution, soak patching strip,roll,squeeze lightly,unroll and let dry on a !!!horizontal!!! surface. The water will evaporate and will leave an even distribution of the lube in the patch. Great for hunting and it is quite easy to vary your grade of lubrication. 1:4 Ballistol:Water is the no-frills solution(too slick for me), I pefer 1:6 as no-frills, some of my rifles up to 1:9. Quite easy to start with 1:4 and add water as needed and test-shoot. For cleaning a small rainwater-ballistol mix in a bottle with patches or a ballistol based moose-milk. Ballistol patch for oiling. Pre-lubed patching makes the loading process quicker and easier.

I've been using Ballistol for years. I use the 4 to 1 ratio for patch lube. I can shoot all day without swabbing. It's like cleaning your bore everytime you load. Never had a problem with it contaminating the powder. A little bit goes a long ways. If you want one oil for everything, Ballistol is it :thumbsup: .

I wonder if the time factor would come into play. For example, simulate a hunting trip where the patch sits on the powder for 8-10 hours.

Maybe the ballistol won't affect the powder within a short time period, but maybe after a longer time period there maybe some spoilage.

Just a thought.

You can find it at most gun shows,but, I usually just order it from Dixie. I, too, use a solution of 1 part Ballistol to 6 parts water. I soak my pre cut patches in the solution and then lay them out on plastic until they are dry (over night. The water evaporates and the patch which feels dry to the touch is uniformly impregnated with the Ballistol. You can leave a rifle loaded with the dry Ballistol patch for weeks. Since I make a bunch at a time, I seal them in plastic zip lock bags until I need them.

have been using Balistol for about a year and had good success with its full spectrum capabilities.
for patch lube with water to Balistol ive used 3:1, 4:1, and 5:1 all with similar results.
i use over powder wads when hunting to be safe because once loaded, the main charge could sit on the ready for a week or longer.
i have not done extensive testing as to the effects of 4:1 patch lube in direct contact to the main charge. Hence the Over powder wad to mitigate any risk of compromising the main charge.
-Buck

I use a ballistol/water mix for my lube. Wet down the patches at the range, ring them out good and set them in a tin. Never had a problem. I can go upwards of 10 shots before running a cleaning patch down the bore. Love the stuff...
Scott

Have you compared this to Hoppes Spit-Patch and Spit-Bath? I used nothing else when I started in 1977 and have tried all sorts of junk since.

-Ray

One of the problems we found when using neat ballistol is that it would detonate in the bore which affected muzzle velocity and therefore
accuaracy. I have some rifles that need a soaking wet patch to keep fouling controlled and others that need the patch scrunch dried in a rag before loading. I only target shoot so dont have the delayed time problem you have. Have to say I always use a wad whatever my patch lube.

Couple years ago I got a bottle of Lehigh valley patch lube. Have not use it much, but did get some impressive groups when I did try it. Seems the owner of the company is presently in Iraq and no one has any of the lube for sale. Dutch Schultz recommends Ballistol for use with his dry lube method. When the snow melts and the outside temp warms up this will be getting a test run.

Just tried it the other day when the temps came up a bit. I lubed a pillow ticking strip with balistol and another with moose juice. The balistol one when dry felt almost dry to the touch. The other felt fairly wet but not dripping.
I used a .54 cal Pedersoli Hawken and 80 grains KIK ffg. Just had time to shoot one five shot group at 50 yards with each. they were both pretty good but the Balistol group had 3 shots touching and 2 others within less than an inch. the moose juice group had 4 pretty tight but one flyer above. Could be me. More testing to come when the weather breaks and I have more time.

You can get it at MidwayUSA also. I think it's about $9.99 for 16 oz. in liquid form.

I'm about to order some myself. I also found Eezox that I've been looking for. This stuff is real good if you hunt in cold weather, and a good barrel and bolt lube for center fire. Not sure how it works for BP guns.

You have to hunt around on that site for it, I think it's under gun oils.

I've used Balistol for years mixed 1:5 with water as a patch lubricant and for cleaning at the end of the day. I put it in an old alcohol dispenser and moisten the shooting patch material just before I load. Also I follow the patched ball down the barrel with a cleaning patch moistened in the same mixture over the jag on my range rod.
I can shoot all day like this.

buenger228 said:
I poured about 15 grains of Goex FFFg on a cotton cleaning patch and pushed it together in a pile. I then put 5 or 6 drops of pure Ballistol directly on the powder, which covered it completely. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then I took a match to it. The powder flashed immediately and completely burned away, leaving barely a blemish on the cotton patch.
That would lead me to believe that Ballistol is NOT very good as a powder solvent. When folks clean with a Ballistol/water solution it is the water which does the cleaning and they may as well leave the Ballistol in the bottle.
Yesterday I was trying to remove some fouling from the nipple recess which I had overlooked while cleaning the bore. I sprayed on a few drops of straight Ballistol and scrubbed with a tooth brush. I scrubbed and scrubbed, getting some fouling off but still more scrubbing was needed. I then spit on the spot and it wiped clean with a single cotton patch.
So much for Ballistol as a black powder cleaner, it needs water to work and water does not need Ballistol.
:haha:

Isn't Ballistol a lube more than a cleaner? A non petrol lube for patches and and storage I think.

Thats because the Ballistol had done its work whilst you were waiting. It just takes a bit of patience. At the end of the day if you want to prove spits the stuff and not Ballistol dont worry to much - it just leaves more for others.

anyone used this with a ball in a bullet block to see how long it could sit in open air and still slide easily down the bore?
so far mink tallow has worked well for me in this issue. i can go a couple months and still slide a mink tallowed linen patched ball down the bore easily.
i still use windex for cleaning the bore, but water or spit works just as good.

Back