• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barkin' 'em

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have barked squirrels with several 50s and 54s. I agree just hit them in the head. A few people in this area have died from that c------ disease. Mostly meat cutters. I don't like brains to eat and if I did would stop because of the risk. :nono: Larry Wv

Capper said:
I'm not going to turn into a mad cow.
Gives a whole new meaning to the idea of barking cow, doesn't it?

Of course you know, it's the same disease process as wasting disease, CWD, in elk and deer.

Spence

George said:
Capper said:
I'm not going to turn into a mad cow.
Gives a whole new meaning to the idea of barking cow, doesn't it?

Of course you know, it's the same disease process as wasting disease, CWD, in elk and deer.

Spence

Yes, but we don't have CDW in my unit.

Not sure about the mad cow thingy.

No more meat thank you. Pass the peanut butter.

Capper said:
Mad cow disease in cattle, scrapie in sheep, CWD in elk and deer, several varieties in humans, including kuru in cannibals of Papua New Guinea, and now in squirrels... all the same basic process, and there is no escape.

And me a squirrel brain eater as a kid... explains a lot. :haha:

Spence

George said:
Capper said:
Mad cow disease in cattle, scrapie in sheep, CWD in elk and deer, several varieties in humans, including kuru in cannibals of Papua New Guinea, and now in squirrels... all the same basic process, and there is no escape.

And me a squirrel brain eater as a kid... explains a lot. :haha:

Spence

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. :rotf:

George said:
Here a map of known locations CWD has already spread to.
Be aware that the data is dated...from articles I've read, there can be a number of years lag time before the presence of it becomes confirmed in a given location, and then gets officially added to a national date base like this one.
http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/disease_information/chronic_wasting_disease/index.jsp

When it became known that CWD was in the US and spreading, I haven't dressed an animal without wearing sturdy disposable vinyl gloves in all those years since.
And while the inspection process within our US commercial meat industry may have it's occasional flaw because it's operated by humans, I don't eat any meat unless its gone through that inspection process, kept well refrigerated along the way, and comes home with me shrink wrapped from a top quality food store...that's just me.

I love to hunt and take game with a Flintlock, but give away everything I get to anybody that wants it...

Last edited by a moderator:
George said:
Be careful out there:

"August 1997

Doctors in Kentucky have issued a warning that people should not eat squirrel brains, a regional delicacy, because squirrels may carry a variant of mad cow disease that can be transmitted to humans and is fatal.
Although no squirrels have been tested for mad squirrel disease, there is reason to believe that they could be infected, said Dr. Joseph Berger, chairman of the neurology department at the University of Kentucky in Lexington. Elk, deer, mink, rodents and other wild animals are known to develop variants of mad cow disease that collectively are called transmissible spongiform encephalopathies.
In the last four years, 11 cases of a human form of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy, called Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, have been diagnosed in rural western Kentucky, said Dr. Erick Weisman, clinical director of the Neurobehavioral Institute in Hartford, Ky., where the patients were treated. "All of them were squirrel-brain eaters," Weisman said. Of the 11 patients, at least six have died."

Spence

Ah...Gee Whiz Spence!

While my post of only shooting squirrels on their chins was typed tongue-in-cheek, I do confess to enjoying squirrel brains.

Besides, there's noth, noth, noth, noth, noth, noth, noth, noth, noth, nothin' wrong with me! :shocked2:

:haha: Skychief.

Going by the track record of the Dnr things are prob a lot worse than they let on. :( We all know how they deny things. :wink: Larry

I have tried to bark squirrels, with both muzzleloaders and modern firearms, and from my experience it is about as accurate as Davy ginning them out of the trees. Most of the squirrels that I have actually barked hit the ground running full speed, if you do kill one it is the exception not the rule.

I eat a lot of game and feel like it is as safe as anything in the grocery store. I do not eat brains of anthing, I do eat the heart and liver. Chris

Well all that was interesting, educational and scary at the same time. I do like the slingshot idea cause tree rats are always giving my location away no matter how quiet and non-confrontational I try to be.

And Skychief, don't worry, I think Cappers' just trying to ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, make you feel self-conscious. Do, do, do, do, don't you pa, pa, pa, pa, pay him no mi, mi, mi, mi, mind, you hear?

See! This is why I like this forum that much! :thumbsup: You can learn something new every day...
Still... I have never seen any squirrel with bark... over here they all have fur... :idunno: :shocked2:

Back