• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barn Gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As has been said, the Southern mountain rifle is a different animal, but for your enjoyment here is a picture of an original that I own. It's about 36 caliber, lightly figured maple stock, no buttplate, hand forged guard and handmade set triggers. The lock is a common hardware store variety, barrel when I took it out of the stock looks hand forged. I think a lot of these guns ended up reusing different parts from sometimes older, worn out guns. It is quite possible that the barrel on this rifle is decades older than the date of the gun (the small bore size does put this theory into question), possibly the same with the triggerguard. Anyway, I don't keep it in the barn, but have a look.

ButtstockRight.jpg

ButtstockLeft.jpg

BottomView.jpg

LockPanelLeft.jpg

RearSightCloseup.jpg

SouthernRifle011.jpg

SouthernRifle010.jpg

TRIGGERGUARDMORTISECLOSEUP.jpg

lockmortise.jpg

This is a nice rifle and to hazard a guess I would say that it is a Southwest Va. or Western North Carolina gun from about the 1840- 50's or possibly a little later. I have seen several guns with similar butt configuration but with no butt piece. The guard is very typical of guns from the area mentioned above. The most original {the only such sight I have ever seen} rear sight might give a clue as to the maker. The gun has nice stock architecture and wood selection. I agree with you on the lock and I too doubt the recovery of the barrel from an earlier gun with that small caliber and I doubt { although without seeing it} that it is a forged barrel or that it is swamped.All in all it's a very nice squirrel rifle.
Tom Patton

There appear to be marks on the tang in front of the tang screw, and on the barrel in front of the tang. Can you tell what they are? And, while we don't have a good picture of the lock plate, there is often some indication of maker on the lock, either on the outside or inside of the lock plate? Do you see anything?

Both would be clues as to source, or maker.

I only hope you get it back in shooting condition, and shoot it. Replacing that front sight should be a relatively minor repair. I would take out that key, and remount a sight to it, made of silver, as that is what was typically used on those guns.

I do have more pictures but It'll be a few days before I can post them. I really never had any plans to shoot it, I bought it mainly as a study gun since I plan on building it from scratch when I get done with my degree and have a bit more time on my hands. Swamped is a question, it loses about 3/16" from breech to center and than comes back to the full breech diameter at the muzzle, not excessive, but definitely not straight either. As for the underside of the barrel it is very rough and shows some evidence of having been forged, as a builder, and someone who has done a fair amount of forge work, I still contend that it is a hand forged barrel, though I have been known to be wrong at times. The lock is not really anthing special, and it doesn't have any remaining markings, though I'm sure it had some in the past. I would guess it to be a typical hardware store type of lock, with no half cock notch present, only full. There is no marks visable on the barrel anymore. The stock was repaired, years ago, and was spliced mid-way up at the forestock with a new piece of wood, the back half looks to have been untouched. There was a comment on another thread concerning the crudenss of these guns. That is not the case with this one, simple yes, but the architecture, quality of inletting, are first rate. Inexpensive perhaps, cheap no.

Latest posts

Back