• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

barrel browning help please o

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wv_mingo327

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’m attempting to brown my barrel on my T/C renegade as i am redoing it to my liking (It was somewhat a red tint wood and a worn bluing look when i got it ) i have browned my tang , trigger guard , but pad and they look exactly like what i’m going for on to my barrel however sanded it bright with 120, 180 , 220, and finished with 320 paper yes B/C cleaner degreaser followed by pure acetone to degrease and clean same as with my hardware (i’m using plum brown by B/C i guess i should have stated that already ) but anyway i heated my barrel just as i did with he other parts got it up to 280-303 i know that’s a little more than the bottle states but when i applied the B/C as i was applying it it was a beautiful dark brown color that i’m looking for it sizzled and smoked off just as it should but after completely coating the entire barrel twice i ended up with the typical crust/crude iv read that others have got washed under clean water with green scotch bright pad couldn’t remove all the crude so used a copper scouring pad with brought it all off just with very very light pressure, my problem however is it is somewhat streaky but it has a rather noticeable purple look and random spots that are still bright albeit they do have some color to them again it was super dark when first applied the same as my hardware (i only went with 2 coats on the hardware and they came out just what i was looking for) my question i guess is do i just need to keep adding more coats or did i mess up somewhere along the way that i’m not seeing if more coats are needed how much of a problem is it that i have already gave it a light coat of WD40 after lightly heating the barrel and wiping it on for it to cure over night , can i simply clean and degrease the barrel and continue to apply? any and all help would be greatly appreciated as i’m fairly new to the browning side of things although i have refinished quite a few rifles and shotguns over the years just never done any browning before once finished i’ll post some before and after pics thank you for any help and guidance some of you may be able to send my way

Had the same type problems with Plum Brown. I think the problem is trying to get the barrel temp even, It take a lot of heat from a torch to get it there. I switched to Mark Lee brown, they both use heat and give a smooth brown, but Mark Lee temp is much lower and easier to obtain. It takes some practice to get the technique down. I think degreasing and appling more may be fine. You can always just take it back to bright metal and start over.

Had the same type problems with Plum Brown. I think the problem is trying to get the barrel temp even, It take a lot of heat from a torch to get it there. I switched to Mark Lee brown, they both use heat and give a smooth brown, but Mark Lee temp is much lower and easier to obtain. It takes some practice to get the technique down. I think degreasing and appling more may be fine. You can always just take it back to bright metal and start over.
thanks for the reply i cleaned /degreased earlier and brought it up to 300° checking with temp gun went over it again and it now has a nice even color just a little on the puplrish/red side all hardware came out nice dark color think i’m gonna keep apply to see if she will darken up like the hardware

Back