• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

barrel in the white

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwhitacre

32 Cal.
Reaction score
:: Well, I have always browned the barrel but I have been thinking about leaving one in the white. I'm just not sure if I should just take out the mill marks etc. oil it and leave it or if there is some other procedure.

File out the mill marks, go over it with 320 sandpaper.... DO NOT OIL it.... and then just leave it alone and in a couple years it will dull out to a grey color. Grey is what you're after, not red. If you get some red, just rub it off with sandpaper.. no oil remember. If you want to jump start the process, put some clorox on a rag and wipe it on the barrel and let it set for about 10 minutes. Then come back and wash it off and dry.

SP

Just use full strenght, but remember.... only 10 minutes. After 20-30 minutes it will start pitting the medal which isn't a bad thing it you want it to have a little texture. Also, the that goes on the inside of your bore, should not get on the outside of the barrel. If you get some on the outside by accident just remove it and clean with some alcohol.

SP

File out the mill marks, go over it with 320 sandpaper.... DO NOT OIL it.... and then just leave it alone and in a couple years it will dull out to a grey color. Grey is what you're after, not red. If you get some red, just rub it off with sandpaper.. no oil remember. If you want to jump start the process, put some clorox on a rag and wipe it on the barrel and let it set for about 10 minutes. Then come back and wash it off and dry.

SP

[/quote]Just use full strenght, but remember.... only 10 minutes. After 20-30 minutes it will start pitting the medal which isn't a bad thing it you want it to have a little texture. Also, the that goes on the inside of your bore, should not get on the outside of the barrel. If you get some on the outside by accident just remove it and clean with some alcohol. [/quote]

slowpoke I am confused now. ::
In your first reply you said wipe it ON your barrel...

In your second reply you say don't get it ON your barrel but inside your barrel.
Why would you want it on the inside of your barrel? :: Are you saying if any goes into the barrel and then gets on the outside make sure to clean it off?

Woody

Man I type bad.... Goes = Grease. Thank you for catching it Woody, you the man!

"Also, the Grease on the inside of your bore should not get on the outside of the barrel....."

Sorry about that, I confused myself.

SP

No problem Thanks for clearing that up slowpoke.. If you wouldn't have done so tonite I would have thought about that aall night long trying to get to sleep..... :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Woody

OK forgive the newbie but why not oil it ? I work in a machine shop and we have a lot of bare metal surfaces that need to be wiped with oil from time to time,otherwise surface rust sets up and leads to bad things if left unchecked.I'm new to this ML thing but am already planning to buy or build a 32 or 36 for small game hunting.I think it's a nastalgia thing.I think a long rifle like the Pennsylvannia with a grayish barrel and nice bit of furniture would be just the ticket.But I don't want to be constantly buffing surface rust off it even when I haven't hunted in fowl weather.

It will not age at all if oiled well. You do not want a shiny polished look, but rather a matte finish. People who used these guns a couple of hundred years ago would not have wanted to be seen by enemies or game. They also would not have polished their barrels out of some sort of pride as did the military personnel.

A nicely polished barrel left to age to a dull gray is quite attractive in my eyes.

YMHS,
CrackStock

I agree about the appearence of the grayed barrel.I've seen a few museum and collector pieces and love it I think that's the way I'll go and if it ever gets too dark then I'll think about oil.Until then the finish will be worth the P.I.T.A. of buffing it anytime the rust shows it's ugly face.

Just for the sake of being different, I would most likely bronze the outside of the barrel, just because I like the look of bronze...

another way to 'age' the barrel is to use Brass Black (I think from Birchwood Casey). It turns the metal grey quick! A friend of mine has switched to this method from the old browning....

Latest posts

Back