• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel lugs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use propane here in the shop. An electric solding iron doesn't get hot enough for it as sturdy.
Slash

Definately not on the electrical soldering gun & if you're talking about one of those lil pen-type butane torches it will not be hot enough either, as the barrel is sucking up the heat. I use a acetalyne torch & us Stay-Brite Silver Bearing Solder to soft solder something.

I stuck a lug on top of this rifle just to show ya how I hold the lug in place with an old hacksaw blade. This keeps it where I want it & it not be slippin & sliding when I heat it up. I take the rubber tips off the clamp when I do it as not to mess the rubber up.

Dsc08677.jpg

Are you putting the barrel lugs on an octagon barrel or a round barrel? On an octagon barrel, you don't need to solder them on. Most are dovetailed into the barrel. If you get a good fit, they aren't going anywhere.

I use a triangular file with 2 safe (smooth) edges. It's easier than it sounds. Look at Mike Brook's gunbuilding tutorial for more information.

That would depend on how thick the waist is on the barrel at the narrowest part on a swamped barrel. On some of the real thin A weight barrels, I solder some of the lugs on & dovetail the others in. :wink:

I've got an oct to round smoothbore. The lug at the octogonal is already staked. I need to solder the two for the barrel. It seems a waste to buy a torch for two lugs. Would I use the same type of torch as for sweating pipes? I could probably get my hands on one of those. Thanx for the responses. Bill

Latest posts

Back