• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel not bent shooting straight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglesnester

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Thought my 54 Hawken flint lock Great Plains rifle had a barrel that was either bent or not concentric. Well after carefully reloading and drawing a careful bead. I found out that the rifle did not shoot 4 inches to the right at 50 meters.
It shot within spec. and is nearly dead on. I do believe that when U are shooting and evaluating rifle accuracy U got good days and days, when U cant hit a bull in the backside with a skillet. My dad was a career US Army M/Sgt and a DI. He taught many young men to shoot including me. His favorite line when you were shooting bad was, "Boy it ante the gun its you". My dad has long since passed but every time I pick up a firearm I think of that phrase.

you always need to check and double check and try different combos.
and today with anchored rests available that help eliminate you even better.

When sighting in you have to be very aware of things that affect the sight picture. For example, bright sun reflecting off the front sight will draw that glint toward the center of the sight picture. So, if the sun is strong from the left, the ball will travel to the left. (IIRC) Your vision blurs that side of the sight, making it appear to be thinner, so the ball will fly toward the glare from the sun.

When sighting in, I use shaders to keep the light on the sight consistent during the session. The shader can be as simple as the center tube from a roll of paper towels or toilet paper cut along the length and set over the sight.

Your Dad was correct, more often than not poor groups are caused by the shooter. The shooter frequently blames the rifle.

I tell my team (I'm a coach) the "nut behind the trigger" might be a little loose!

Back