• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDP1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What do you use to keep the inside and outside of your gun to prevent rust?

I use either Remington oil or AMSOIL spray lube. Birchwood-Casey Barricade is highly recommended as well but no matter what you use, be sure to swab the barrel with an alcohol dampened patch before loading so that any left over oil will be removed and won't contaminate the powder.

If I am between shooting sessions and it may be a week or two before I get back out, I use Rem Oil, in and out of the barrel..IF I am not going to shoot for an extended period of time I use Birchwood Casey Universal Gun Grease to protect the bore of the rifle, and Rem Oil on the outer metal parts.I second the suggestion of swabbing inside the barrel with alcohol or brake clean, ESPECIALLY after using B/C Universal Gun grease.Doing this also reduces your chances of hangfires and misfires due to moisture in the barrel.

Gun Oil.
Hoppes #9 and or LPS 2.
Gotta clean the petroleum oils out of the bore before firing but I never found that to be a problem.

I use Hoppes#9 Black Powder Solvent & Patch Lube for cleaning and Birchwood Casey Barricade to lube the barrel for storage. Tried other things, but these seem to work the best for me.

those of us who store our rifle horizontal with the muzzle slightly lower than the breech don't need the alcohol wipe. just stick a patch or cotton ball in the muzzle for a few days to catch excess oil

I have a friend who is a sales rep for a number of sporting goods. At one time he was a rep for Knight. He had a lot of samples and I was able to get my hands on a bunch of bottles of "KNIGHT OIL". I don't know who made this stuff for Knight, but it is a very light oil that has worked very well for me in all my muzzle loaders. I always use a patch with some alcohol to remove the oil before loading. Doing this has kept the rust out of the barrel and I do not have misfires.

Any synthetic gun oil will work just fine.

I use Bore-Stores gun socks for all my weapons. They are inexpensive and impregnated with a rust preventer and moisture inhibitor. Highly recommend.

On the bores I use military gun oil. For the outside or very long term I use spray on anti rust spray. (When using sprayon anti rust in a bore you need acetone (brake cleaner ) to remove it.) :idunno:

Latest posts

Back