• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

barrell oscillation's effect on accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picture033.jpg

tomtom knew that......we just bored him...now he's off to think bout cold fusion..........

Tomtom looks a lot like our kitty, Snots Elaine. Snots is a real talker sometimes and just the other day she felt like waxing loquacious about cold fusion. Her position on the subject is that she doesn't like cold fusion and prefers her fusion warmed up a bit. :haha:

Robby, thanks I never though of varying the load as a way to bring the bullet and the oscillation into tune with one another. I did not bring up the subject to "troll" but because I do not have unlimited funds for gun building and want to get the most bang for my buck as it were. I never expected to enjoy gun building the percussion I had years ago didn't leave a scratch on me but flintlocks is like crack. I am too far gone in the addiction for any hope now and rehab is for quitters anyhow.

As heavy as a muzzleloaders barrel usually is I don't think its harmonic frequency has much of an effect.

On the other hand, I know that when they are out hunting, a lot of the old muzzleloader shooters try to B sharp and C sharp.

Does that help? :grin:

I have found if you record the sound and run it through a voice anilizer you can learn to sing the oppisite note.Then as your shooting make monotone OHWANAGOSIAM sound,squeezing staring at the na sound you cancel he harmonics out

Zonie, you can't try for a B sharp because everyone in music knows that there is no B sharp. Thats why it doesn't work. Next time try for an A sharp. :haha:

On a serious note..., I should think that the manner of fastening most muzzleloaders to the stock, either by bands, or pins, keys, or screws, that those methods would interfere with vibration. Anything dovetailed into the barrel will change the thickness of said barrel at that point, would it not?

I thought barrel vibrations from harmonics and/or "whip" was something that concerned folks with free floated barrels set in modern receivers.

:idunno:

LD

I thought barrel vibrations from harmonics and/or "whip" was something that concerned folks with free floated barrels set in modern receivers.

All gun barrels will vibrate and whip when shot. Fastners or pressure points will affect that whip. Free floating (modern) barrels allows unfettered whip. The key to accuracy is finding the "sweet spot" load so the projectile leaves the muzzle at the same point in the 'whip' each time.

In CFs the powder charges are varied so that the bullet just exiting the muzzle is at either the top or bottom of the oscillating muzzle {in effect the bbl stops just before reversing direction and this is the optimum bullet exit point}. The oscillating movement can be a circle but this is rare...nearly all are oval or elliptical. The reversing of the muzzle movement in the oscillation pattern can be compared to a "pendulum swing".

Because of a much slower, "gentler" explosion in a MLer and the fact that MLer bbls are usually "beefier" and because the resonance produces less oscillation, evidently some oscillation is still produced and this might be the reason why some powder charges produce more accuracy than others. Overall, don't think bbl oscillation in MLers as important a factor as w/ CFs.

Bench guns in both CF and MLing have very large dia bbls to inhibit resonance thereby greatly reducing bbl oscillation, but the powder charges are still varied in order to "time" the bullet exiting from the muszzle at either the high or low point of the oscillation.

For most shooters and hunters who use MLers, varying the amount of a few powder charges usually finds the best accuracy. Personally I think the patch mat'l and thickness and lube are just as important as the corect powder charge, if not more so.....Fred

Latest posts

Back