• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BBQ-size Hogs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's a picture of Jerry (Geraldo) with two eatin-size pigs we took back in August. It was quite an interesting hunt.

008.jpg

We slipped into the woods along a hog trail that winded through thick hammock (oaks, pine, cabbage palm and palmettoes) about sundown. Jerry hand-motioned that something was visible...a sow! It ran off. Apparently it heard us. We got into position, primed and capped, and suddenly there was what sounded like a sharp "bark" and the sow and 6 or 7 smaller hogs (30 to 40 pounders) ran into an opening and started feeding. The sow must have gave the "all clear" which really did sound like a dog bark; I've never heard anything like it before. Firing within a split-second of each other, we each took one. They were perfect size for the BBQ grill.

Jerry's rifle is a .58 GM roundball barrel on TC Renegade stock.

That's some good shooting! I'm hoping to get one this year myself. I'll shred mine up to make BBQ sandwiches. P.S. looks like he's watched too much "Duck Dynasty" though! :grin: .

You mean they didn't EAT you? Some guys on here will hardly believe you were able to get back to your computer and tell this tale!

Congrats! I'm hitting Upper Hillsboro for the dog hunt next week. Taking the flinter along as the primary Wish us luck!

Nice work. Tell me, how do they compare to domestic pork?

NYSDEC says we are starting to get them in NY, and they should be shot on sight. I say bring em on, I'd like to try em. :grin:

blackpowderscout said:
You mean they didn't EAT you? Some guys on here will hardly believe you were able to get back to your computer and tell this tale!

Nicely done!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

Just wondering here...do you skin them or de-hair them (boiling water?)
How long do you cook them?

It's been my experience that most wild pigs are so ate up with ticks, fleas and mites that you don't want any part of the skin. No way of telling what's living on there that the boiling won't take off.

I generally skin them. Usually give the meat to relatives who BBQ them. Backstraps are good for the grill. Most of them have been clean, no visible ticks or fleas.

crockett said:
Just wondering here...do you skin them or de-hair them (boiling water?)
How long do you cook them?

You can skin them or boil. Skinning them is easier IMHO. You cook the meat the same as you would with any pork product. :hatsoff:

flyfisher76544 said:
You can skin them or boil. Skinning them is easier IMHO. You cook the meat the same as you would with any pork product. :hatsoff:

But brush 3 cups of 'Black Jack Barbecue Sauce over each 3 pounds of ribs. This wonderfulsauce is an old chuckwagon recipe made up of :

1 cup strong, black coffee
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup catsup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups chopped onions
1/4 cup minced hot chili peppers (jalepenos or serranos)
6 cloves garlic, minced

Combine everything in saucepan and simmer for 25 minutes. Strain or puree in a blender or food processor. Refrigerate between uses. Makes 5 cups of delightful B-B-Q sauce! :thumbsup:

blackpowderscout said:

Congrats! I'm hitting Upper Hillsboro for the dog hunt next week. Taking the flinter along as the primary Wish us luck!

Good luck, blackpowderscout!!

Back