• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfarod

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Was blessed to be able to break in my new flinter last night with this bear! .50 cal made by Ron gueldner, bear weighed a little less than 200.. A good eater

Excellent job! Nice looking bear :thumbsup: .50 cal is good bear medecin :hatsoff:

Yeah it was a very warm early season, 87 degrees in the stand. Was entertained by deer and turkeys before he came in and he did when he did. Got him skinned, quartered and in the freezer pretty quick. The .50 worked great, used a TC maxi ball and destroyed his vitals so he dropped like a rock.

Britsmoothy said:
Often wonder, what does bear taste like?

I've killed one and it tasted better than venison. Can't say it tastes like anything else to compare it to. Some say it is like pork, but I think it is better than that. Might depend on its diet.

Congrats :thumbsup: Beautiful bear. I had the pleasure of bear roast one time an thought it was great tasting meat :hatsoff: Hope you kept the fat for grease and oil

Yeah hard to compare the meat to anything else, my wife prefers it over venison though..
I do keep the fat to render down

Britsmoothy said:
Often wonder, what does bear taste like?
To me, it tastes like a cross between venison and pork. Delicious when roasted over a fire with a little salt to enhance the flavor.

Bear roast in crock pot with a small onion and clove of garlic cooked till it falls off the bones makes excellent B.B.Q. you want to prepare and cook bear very well. done chops on the grill, even made bologna out of it, it also makes a very good sausage.

I've had several encounters with bears, in the mountainous parts of Virginia, but they never show up during a time when they are legal. Seems like they hang around the areas, that I deer hunt, during early archery, but by the time, they become legal, hunting pressure has sent them out of the area.

That's a beautiful bear. I have never had to opportunity to eat the meat.

Congratulations on the kill.

My nephew and his buddy killed one once that had eaten a skunk. They couldn't eat that one. :haha: What bear meat that I have eaten was very good. Steaks,crockpot whatever. Dan.

Like it hot off the grill or stewed. It gets a little tallowyif it cools and makes it greasy on the roof of the mouth. As a pot roast, stew or bar-b-question it's just rich and wondful.

Back