• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear down!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machino

32 Cal
Reaction score
Took the old man out with me (84) for a bear hunt. Rifle/general opened on Sunday. We got there Friday afternoon and I took the bow for a walk and knocked down a few grouse. Saturday I took a long walk 6 miles into a fun drainage and had a bull within 30 but it was too thick and quakey. Dad saw a big ol sow with a cub. That was cool. Sunday I kept the bow in hand but the winds had died which really makes things hard. Usually its blowing hard out there so you can play the wind as well as being able to sneak quietly. That said Im always taking my shoes off for the final approach. Monday came and I thought to myself I didnt bring this smokepole for nothing. I started in the direction of another long hike but was pleasantly surprised to see a bear feeding low. The wind had returned and I made my stalk like usual. Get down wind and try to be higher than the bear. I made my way quiet with the socks and got to the opening. I didnt see him. I knew he was there. Wind was in my face. So I just stalled and let my ears listen. Finally i heard something out of the ordinary and I knew it was him. Somehow a slight depression hid him at thirty. I was already at full cock. He came out of his little spot and turned toward me. That gun punches clovers at 50 and felt confident with the shot. I put a “offhand!” 6 oclock hold on his chevron. Bang. Smoked cleared and there he lay. Somehow I hiked all the meat hide and head out in one go the 500 yards to the trail. That was a good test! Dang. Dad was there to help and got back home in time for dinner. Good trip. Thought you guys would enjoy the pics. Kibler Woodsrunner .54. Bear greased PRB 90 gr FFF in pipe and pan

Attachments

• IMG_7633.png
    IMG_7633.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7618.jpeg
    IMG_7618.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7576.jpeg
    IMG_7576.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thats great! I love bear hunting, mine has been all in New Brunswick. I would love the spot and stalke opportunities out west. Up north. you often dont see them at all until they poke out at the barrel 25 feet away!

NICE! It looks like a dark chocolate bear. Beautiful scenery, bear and gun.

I had a light chocolate bear in my bow sites @ 12 yards years ago in Montana but my arm cramped and the arrow just flopped out on the ground. Never seen another one.

Your dad must be in great shape hiking 12 miles round trip at 84.

Thanks for the replies.

Patacazador, luckily this bear was only 1/4 mile from camp. I was lucky and very pleased it was close enough for my dad to be involved. It also makes a guy feel foolish for walking 10+ miles every day and then to trip over one at camp, lol. Dad can't do that, but dang he was happy to be apart of it. I had this weird contemplation as I got close to him on the trail. I have 2 boys, oldest is 2 1/2. I felt super honored to show him what I had become. I mean, it seems trivial, but I can't imagine him watching his son crawl out of the bush with 100#+ (all of the bear I brought home weighed 102# head, hide, meat, and fat which I only had to carry 500 yds to the trail) of bear on his back with a flintlock in hand. He slapped me on the back and said good job. It was cool

And Crisco, speaking of crisco the bear fat might be just as important to me as the meat is. Here is the difference from the grease of this boar vs a 23yr old sow I shot in the same general area 2 years ago with my .45 cap. Pretty big difference.

Attachments

• IMG_7636.jpeg
    IMG_7636.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back