• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear Hunters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend and I went to CO this year to hunt bears. We both got one. He was using a 50 cal Hawken and I was using a 54 cal Renegade. Both were taken with a single shot. I would say shot placement is key regardless of caliber.

jscott said:
My friend and I went to CO this year to hunt bears. We both got one. He was using a 50 cal Hawken and I was using a 54 cal Renegade. Both were taken with a single shot. I would say shot placement is key regardless of caliber.

Wow :shocked2: In Colorado? Were you calling them or spot & stock?

We have a ton of bears here, but since they outlawed bait & hounds success rates run about 5%-10% and you all both got one!.....Do tell :confused: How did you go about it?

I have about given up even buying the tag :idunno:

I know you said rifle not smooth bore. Please show and tell us about your gun, loads, ball size, etc.

A final photo of that bear would be nice too.

Thanks.

It is a Chambers Mark Silver Virginia rifle with a rifled .60 caliber Getz barrel. Load is a .595 PRB in front of 120 grains 3F Goex.

I shot one years ago, opportunity encounter while elk hunting.
Been running a spring bait site the last couple of seasons, shot one off of it this spring...cheated though, shot it with a 7mm/08. I only recently "discovered" BP hunting, but have the bug pretty hard now.

We've shot 3 mn, I shot a nice 12 year old cinnamon bear my first time out with my flintlock .58 and a round ball over 85 grains of powder. It died within 2 seconds. I don't think black bears are particularly tough.

Here's a pic of my cinnamon bear it had a blonde razer back and a white star to boot. I'm the guy on the left. The hides had been rolled up in a fridge and had shrunk quite a bit,lol.

I've killed 5 with traditional bows and one with a .62cal flintlock rifle.

Osage_bear.jpg

first congratulations to Sean and you other guys on your success.
we had our first bear hunt here this season in 20 some odd years. i have never had any interest in hunting bears but i appreciate the folks who do, we are eat up with them now from the many years they were protected and many are habituated to the point i am surprised we don't have more problems than we do. when i first moved on my property i was all excited to be close to my hunting grounds and i had a food plot in the back so i could rush home from work and sit til dark. well a sow moved in and was bedded with two cubs probably within 50 yards of the food. i didn't think much about it until i went out one afternoon to get something out of a shed and i heard her busting palmettos, i wasn't worried about her so much but i was worried about what might have happened if one of her cubs had been exploring around the shed. i figured that i moved into her yard so i let her be and quit feeding deer so i didn't have a problem but she sure gave two of my neighbors a fit, tore one of their screened in back porch to pieces to get at his fish cooker, grease everywhere and it had to be completely re-screened.

that's my long winded explanation and way of saying, i don't hunt bears but God bless all of you who do !!!

creek

Back