• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

410-er

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a TC Big Boar in 58.Thinking about using it next year for bear here in Pa.Our bears range from baby bear to papa at 700lbs.I'm currently using a RB and 120grs of FFg.This is giving me 4 shot groups of 1".Would this be good enough of should I start expermenting now with Maxi's for more energy?

That should do it.

I just finished a Jaeger .62 cal for an up coming Griz hunt.

jaeger38.jpg

She seems to like 125gr of powder.

In have to cast up some hardened balls and play with the lube some, but I feel the .62 is plenty of juice for Mr. Griz.

For black bear I feel a .54 with say 110 of FF to be bad medicine for Mr Blackie.

I didn't realize PA had 700#ers so your .58 should work just right.

Like all hunting it is the shot not the gun that gets the job done.

Good Luck.

That load should do it but I wouldn't take a shot beyond 50 yards just to be safe. If you want a 100 yard load I'd go with a conical.
Sportsmans Warehouse is going out of business here and they have .58 cal Hornady Great Plains Bullets on sale for about $6.

HD

Well, now, that depends on how dead you want 'em. I've shot a 500 pounder with a .490 prb and 80 gr. of 3f (Elephant, at that). Penetration was better AND it held together better than a .30-06 w/ some bullistic tip something or other. Your .58 and the charge you use will work great. Shot placement is the key. PT me and I'll try send the bear shot placement .pdf. I shot a 230 lb. bear this year and could not be believe how short a distant it went! Animals on the top of the food chain aren't used to competition and go down relatively easily. Double lung it and you'll be fine.

cptleo said:
That should do it.

I just finished a Jaeger .62 cal for an up coming Griz hunt.

In have to cast up some hardened balls and play with the lube some, but I feel the .62 is plenty of juice for Mr. Griz.

Good luck man. I don't know much about hunting bears, but I hope you've got a good back-up gun in addition.

Anyone ever use a maxi out of a Big Boar and what kind of groups did you get?If a RB will do the job,I'll probably go with that.I'm using that now.
Think I outa carry a big Knife? :hmm:

I took my first black bear using a .54 flinter & a patched round ball, with only 80gr of FFg Goex. A double lung hit was a complete pass thru & the bear would have only gone 20 yards if it hadn't rolled another 20 down a steep hillside. You don't really need to shoot the most powerful gun you can handle. Just pick your shots & put the ball where it needs to go. :v

When it comes to teeth and claws, I would use max loads with a heavy conical to make sure I have extra energy. I would not want that critter getting up and coming after me.

Bottom line, black bears are easy to kill with a good clean shot, but tough to kill if you start a fight with a bad shot. Trouble is, if the fight starts you're standing there with an empty gun.

I'd have complete faith in your setup and no changes. I'd make sure of the shot, but in the meantime be working on your strategy for "what if."

It's kinda entertaining to read Lewis and Clark accounts of their many bear kills. Pretty good descriptions of loading on the run and lotsa running, tree climbing, and multiple shooters.

In your shoes, I'd be working on marksmanship, studying bear anotomy, practicing my speed loading, and probably loading on the move. I'd also get brushed up on my tree climbing, if L&C are fair teachers.

As for backup, I'd be thinking about it if it's legal in your woods. We tend to pack modern high power revolvers up here, but that might not be legal for you. Might be worth having a friend with a legal firearm or packing a period handgun if you prefer to hunt alone. I've been giving serious thought to one of these or the flint version. I'd say it would do a real good job of finishing a fight when your rifle is empty.

For most of us shots at black bear do not come often. since you would have only one shot, I'd use a good conical like Hornady great plains or maxi-hunter. Use a felt wad over powder and shoot the heaviest load your rifle will group with. These loads are going to kick so pad up in the shoulder area before you start shooting. You will not feel the recoil when shooting at game, but they will hurt ya if you let them off the bench. With some good padding in the shoulder you should be able to shoot 20+ shots per range session with no problems what so ever.

Practicing with your bear gun is just half the fight. The real practice needs to be with your backup. Shot placement is the answer here. A black bear is a thin skinned, light boned animal, like a hog. Lots of the locals here take them with a .243 or .223. Yeah, yeah, like other things, dont ask dont tell. Certain groups are priviledged. That is just the way it is, the point being they are not hard to kill, but shot placement is important.

About 2 years ago, a pilgrim from New England moved to the Raton area. A bear came up on his porch and this genius decides he is going to take it on with a .38 with round nose lead bullets. Well, he does, he shoots it in the stomach 5 times. The bear tears the screens off his windows and doors and leaves. Said pilgrim calls the cops to report the "rogue" bear.

Authorities sent the tracker with his dogs, and they followed this bear about 5 miles up into the deep heavy timber (8000 to 9000 ft. elevation) the tracker losing 5 of his best dogs to the bear. The last dog alive finally located the bear at the head of a box canyon where the tracker shot it fatally. As expected, when they posted the carcass, they found five .38's in the intestines.

If you watch the TV hunting shows, when they have to go in the brush to recover a bear, there is always 2 guys with 12 ga. shotguns. If you wound and loose a bear PC ceases and reality begins.

Back