• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penrosepete

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to email a picture to someone and have them put it on the forum and I will comment on it.

Saw a big sow bear that had that coloration a few years ago in the Carrot River area in Saskachewan. A good number of the Bears in that area are color phase black bears. They range from blond to dark brown. I think only about half of the Bears in the area are black.

This one was on a trail camera in southern co. Wonder how big it will be this fall for muzzel loader season

With the hump and the dished face, I'd say you have a juvenile Grizzly. I sent the picture to an expert for confirmation.

According to the expert - it is a young, skinny black bear with unusual coloration that weighs about 150 pounds (though it was difficult to determine weight from the picture).

Ears say YOUNG. I think 150 is high in that photo, come September 150-200 lbs seems right. :surrender: they are really hard to judge. I've only seen a few wild hogs & a few black bear yet I feel confident in my hog guesses and always second guess myself on. Bear

I think it would do well to be over 100lbs, just trying to judge it's size by the mullein plants growing by it's feet, and the fact it's bones are showing. It's weight in the fall will depend totally on how much it gets to eat, which depends mostly on the weather, which hasn't happened yet and is even harder to guess than the weight of the bear. Sean's guess of 150-200 is reasonable for that age of bear, though.

Based on those looooong legs and the comparatively long nose, I'm going to guess that momma kicked him out not too long back and probably not more than 100#. But in my eyes that's good, if true. He'll be sweet and tender come fall. I'm more inclined to good eats than good scale drop though.

:metoo: I have more than once shot a smaller animal than available!

One deer hunt I was hauling butt back to town after a morning sitting water, 6 bucks were grazing by the road. Another truck coming opposite way but I was way too fast and jumped out and shot a nice three point at 40 yds. "why didnt ya shoot the 6 point? the guy asked? :youcrazy: duhhhh this one was closer!

Just to give you an idea, IMHO your bear could end up around this size in the fall if it has a good year of feeding.

Sorry it is dark with rain here , and my phone takes bad photos with a flash at that range.

I put a dollar bill between them so you can judge size. The Black (my wife's) was 210 lbs if I remember right. So the brown phase (that I shot nearly 20 years after SHE killed her bear :redface: ) went between 125lbs and 175 lbs.

That looks about right.

Another clue that the bear in the photo is a youngster is those ears. They look big because the bear hasn't grown up to fit them yet. Compare them with the ears you see on an adult bear.

BrownBear said:
That looks about right.

Another clue that the bear in the photo is a youngster is those ears. They look big because the bear hasn't grown up to fit them yet. Compare them with the ears you see on an adult bear.

That's usually one of the quickest ways to get an idea of a bears size. If the ears look big (I always think of a dog/german shepherd type ear) its usually a smaller bear. When the ears look small and round (they often seem farther apart) that usually indicates a big bear. Big bears usually have a "beefier" build. The rear or hindquarters of a big bear usually has a rounded look to it too.

I gave a little bigger range because I don't know the feed in that area. It is amazing how much an unmolested young bear can pack on if it has the right foods (oils & fats) in large amounts. I know here on the mesa the bears eat buckets of service berries Until the acorns ripen. Once they have a steady source of the oil in acorns, you won't find another berry in their droppings. . .It's all about the fat they can obtain. With a fat source all summer that could near 200lbs with a acorn crop failure or bigger bears holding all available areas it could starve to death before season gets here. :(

Back