• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beautiful hawkin/plains custom rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigboom

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I know it was made in the states, and its custom. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the builder. It is a Lou Camilla with his signature engraved in the top side of the barrel, and stamped #92 on the bottom side of the barrel, and in the stock groove. Tiger maple with a green stain, and ivory, or bone accents. Any info on it is appreciated! thanks....
pics...
IMAG0112.jpg

IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

I thought I had posted this in the research section, oh well. Thanks, I love the wood on her.

I used to know him back in the 70's, but I thought his name was Lou Camelli. I've never seen his name written before, so maybe that's how I thought I heard it pronounced.

He had a shop in Albuquerque called the Frontier Gun Shop, and was a custom builder of Hawken rifles, among other styles of western rifles and trade guns. His lockmaker was a machinist who retired from Mercedes Benz, so I believe all his locks were custom made and high quality. I believe his triggers were made by the same gentleman also. I'm pretty sure all his custom Hawkens were mounted with sharron barrels.

He was a cranky old hippie with an anger problem, as the F word was used quite extensively in his everyday vocabulary. But he built high quality, very expensive guns, even building a custom Hawken for Slim Pickins. As a teenager, I got a lot of inspiration from him, even if he did always growl at me and ask me, "What the (bleep) do you want"? He was the first custom muzzleloader builder I ever met, and a pioneer in custom building.

After the 70's, I lost track of Lou, And I wonder if he's still alive. He would be close to 75 years old now. Hope this helps. Bill

It is a Lou Camilla with his signature engraved in the top side of the barrel,

Do not assume the name on a barrel is the builder. It is often the owner for whom the gun was built. My name is inlaid with silver on the top flat of my Jaeger. And, I ain't, fer sure, no builder, famous or otherwise.
That looks like a fine Hawken and from what has been posted it is probably a great rifle. The price looks acceptable.
The green stain may be from the acid stain used but was not properly neutralized.

wow, thats great info :thumbsup: thank you.I had a guy who has built his own rifles look at it, and said it would take $1800 in parts just to build it, not including bench time. I love it, and am pondering the question on weather to change the front sight or not. It has a white bone front blade on it, and I dont want to break it. I am looking into getting a unbreakable ram rod now, or making my own out of purple heart, because the one on it has a bone tip that has broken off and been repaired.

I found this about the Sharon barrel maker...

Sept. 27, 1922 - Jan. 28, 2002

J. Hall Sharon, 79, of Sonora died Monday at Tuolumne General Hospital.

Mr. Sharon was a native of Falmouth, Ky. He lived in Sonora 22 years. He was a machinist and had worked at Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. from 1947-53, and Hughes Aircraft in Culver City from 1953-60. He owned Sharon Rifle Barrel Co. in Kalispell, Mont., from 1960-70. He was a nationally known gunsmith and barrel maker. He manufactured a black powder rifle marked as Sharon Hawken Kit, which was used at black powder shoots nationwide. His barrels were well-known in the United States and 25 percent went to foreign countries, including one rifle to the king and queen of England. In 1981, a Pennsylvania-style traditional flintlock with a Sharon Barrel was presented to President Ronald Reagan.

He was a member of Sierra Bible Church and Promise Keepers. He was a member of the National Rifle Association. He was a World War II Navy veteran.

He is survived by his wife, Anna Sharon of Sonora; and children, Dennis Sharon of Mi-Wuk Village and Steven Sharon of Sonora.

A funeral will be at 2 p.m. Friday at Terzich & Wilson Funeral Home. Burial will follow at Mountain Shadow Cemetery. Visitation will be from 1 to 2 p.m. Friday at the chapel.

It looks like a Lou Camilla rifle to me. What a good find. I have a good friend in Albuquerque that has two of them and your rifle should shoot as good as it looks.

I too do not know the whereabouts of Lou.

Well, I know a few things about that rifle.
1. It is a beautiful rifle
2. I'm almost envious it isn't mine
3. I'm trying not to sin constantly since seeing it, by be coveteous!

Enjoy your great looking rifle! :v

Thanks for the praises yall. My dad, whom got me into BP, hates me now cause of this rifle. :blah: I bought a brass sight just in case. I want to replace the ram rod on it with a tiger maple for looks. I have a range rod now, and thought a maple rod would not only match the stock wood, but hold up as well as hickory. What do yall think?

I’m with Rifleman1776 on this one. After the big boom you will hear the big SNAP, if you use maple for a rr.

Big Boom said:
I know it was made in the states, and its custom. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the builder. It is a Lou Camilla with his signature engraved in the top side of the barrel, and stamped #92 on the bottom side of the barrel, and in the stock groove. Tiger maple with a green stain, and ivory, or bone accents. Any info on it is appreciated! thanks....
pics...
IMAG0112.jpg

I don't know anything about the builder but, the green stain may be a result of the use of Aquafortis that never got completely neutralized afterword!
Check out this from TOW on Aquafortis! http://www.trackofthewolf.com/pdfs/aquafortis.pdf

Really nice, really nice. She got a little too much shine for my likin but she issssssssss very nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks All!! She shoots too! I got to get some thin .010" patches to go with my .610 balls. The .015 is too tight, but it shot them. First BP rifle that I have ever shot with a kick. I am thinking it is due to the tight fit. I shot high dead center at 50 yards. Good enough for me. :wink:

IMAG0128.jpg

small shots are from my ar-15. I was sighting in my scope.I had two shots off target, and the last one top center at 50 yds.

Latest posts

Back