• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bee's wax and mineral oil as patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pacobillie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
As a woodworker, I have used a mixture of Bee's wax and mineral oil as a sealant for cutting boards. Whilst the mixture used in woodworking might be a little thick for lubing patches, it seems to me that a mixture containing more mineral oil might be a good option. Am I correct? Does anyone have recipe that they would share?

It should be fine. My current lubes are beeswax and whale oil and the same using peanut oil. No receipe, just add until you get the consistency you want.
BTW, some folks might say mineral oil is a no-no because it is a petroleum product. I dunno if that is important or not.
I use peanut oil because it is very slickery and has a high burn temp resistance.

Plain olive oil?
I found a tube of lube at a big-name sporting goods store and they want about 10 bucks for it. Seems kinda high; I'd like to find a better (read=cheaper) substitute. How best to carry this in the field?

Being new to homebrew lubes I am still experimenting. However, I made a mix of beeswax and peanut oil 50:50. prelubed my patches while it was warm enough to be liquid and went to the range. didnt have any problems loading, I dont swab between shots. My only complaint is it seems a bit too waxy, so Im going to cut it with more oil, go 2:1 oil to beeswax next time I use it.

ChefP said:
Plain olive oil?
I found a tube of lube at a big-name sporting goods store and they want about 10 bucks for it. Seems kinda high;

Yep, and people buy it. That's why big companies don't pay much attention to traditional guys, we make our own stuff and keep it as simple as needed. Though we might be skin-flints when it comes to doling out bucks for accessories, but we don't compromise on the quality of our gun parts. Bill

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to try Adui's mix at 2:1 first. Cooking stuff? No problem there!

Just remember to use the double boiler method described elsewhere: take a tin can (I used a tuna can sided one) put it in a small fry pan of water about 2/3's to the top of the can. Worked like a charm for me.

Oh and I cant take credit for the recipe; I got it from another person on here when I asked about a bit. As usual I cant remember the name though :confused:

ChefP said:
Plain olive oil?
I found a tube of lube at a big-name sporting goods store and they want about 10 bucks for it. Seems kinda high; I'd like to find a better (read=cheaper) substitute. How best to carry this in the field?
Plain olive oil with besswax melted together, then while still warm pour into and empty cap tin and put it in your shooting bag. The cap tin filled with lube is the perfect size for rubbing a dry patch into.

Back