• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BeesWax & Olive Oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navaho

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have read several threads on making wonderlube. They say use Virgin Olive Oil & Beeswax. Can anyone provide the amounts to use. For example how many ounces of olive oil to how much beeswax. Thanks.

I use a 2 parts oil (bear oil/olive oil)to one part wax or even a 50/50 mix at times, this is good for soaking fiber wads also,one needs to find what they/their climate/gun likes.

I'm in San Jose at the moment, temp very moderate to warm. I'm assuming this mix can be used for cloth patches as well as wads? And what about the applications of boar fat? I pig hunt a bit and thats alot of fat.

Where do I find info about this kind of "cooking"

I use 1/3 each hog lard/deer tallow, 1/3 bees wax, and 1/3 oilve oil. In the winter I add more olive oil because it gets too stiff in the cold.

I also use TG's ratio. 2/3 olive oil to 1/3 bees wax. Use for patch lube, lip balm, leather conditioner, gun stock wax, etc. Good stuff and cheap to make.

I mix 60/40 beeswax and lard and 2 table spoons of olive oil.
I found them excellent as a patch lube and excellent on conicals.I even use them in 45-70 BP loads

Hey DwarvenChef,

I have fought several fires in the hills surrounding you. I would not advise using grease and wax patches in such a highly combustible area that is also prone to windy conditions. If you are out on a hunt just use spit.

Charcloth

Hear that, fire is always on my mind when in the field. If conditions are very dry I tend to go with my other addiction, specialty pistols. My family ranch is in the foothills below Yosemite, fire danger is nothing to play with. Although I have seen more trouble with bullit impacting on granit than patch material. When I can find one I use hornit nest over the charge. After years of useing it I have never seen a smouldering patch or ignited material on my range there.

Is there a thread on this site that discusses the fire issues with ML'n?

I've never seen a lubed patch catch fire. Spit will dry out, and a dry patch will catch fire.

Swampman said:
I've never seen a lubed patch catch fire. Spit will dry out, and a dry patch will catch fire.

They do, If I use fffg I will smoke my patches, and thats with wonder lube,, But they are easy to find when their smokin,,

I got this receipt from someone, probably from this site, that I have used and like. You can make it harder or softer by adding or reducing the amount of bees wax.
Ingredients:
1 lb Natural bees wax
approx. 4 lbs Olive oil
about 2 teaspoons yellow food color (varies)
1/2 oz. Wintergreen oil

Procedure:

1. melt the 1 lb of bees wax in a thick pot slowly in about 2 or 3 lbs of oil. Remove from heat and let it get solid. I pour it into a microwaveable container.
2. Test poke with your finger. If your finger hurts, add oil.
3. Nuke for about 2 or 3 minutes or until it all melts, and stir. Let it get solid again. Go to #2 again until your finger doesn't hurt-- about 4 lbs. of olive oil.
4. Let it cool and pour into small 1/2 lb. containers. Makes about 5-6 lbs. depending on how loose you want your Bore Butter.

NOTES: I have used Oil of Orange, oil of lemon, oil of spearmint and Maple flavor. I have also used Red. Shooters like it best when it looks and smells like Wintergreen, Maple flavor doesn't work because it is water based. Must be oil based flavor to work well. (1# of olive oil = 16oz)
:v

Some people like it to look and smell like the bore butter that they get at the store. I realy do not care either way as long as it works. I have tried it both ways and neither way puts crud in the barrel and works good. I shoot a lot of this through my revolvers and have had no problems. :v

That is interesting if bore butter is nothing more then beeswax and olive oil how can T/C say that if you use their product it seasons the barrel and prevents rust. Maybe the wax fills the barrel's steel pores and does the trick?

Swampman said:

I had an Ox Yoke one do just that. I had a unloaded my rifle into a stump after a not very productve day of hunting, and for some reason was just hanging there watching the world go by for a bit and started seeing smoke. Dug out the patch and the bit of smoking wood, then added a bit of natures own fire extinguisher to the area of the hole just in case..

Tony

I would say it should be with beeswax & olive oil in the mix. Just finished a batch. It was probably a 2 or 3 parts olive oil to 1 part beeswax. Not sure because I kept adding olive oil to get consistancy. Probably got a pound of butter. Cost was probably about 8 or 9 dollars.

Back