• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beeswax

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORD

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I need some bulk (about 10 pounds) beeswax and was a wondering where you all get yours? The cheapest I have been able to find it for is $6.29 per pound...that counts shipping

I thank you in advance :hatsoff:

NORD

I bought mine at Michaels- A craft store in our area. I believe they are around the country though. I do not remember what I Paid but I think it was in the 2 to 3 dollars a pound range. Not sure if Wal-Mart carries it or not. A lot of folks use it for candles etc. Hope that helps.

got mine at michaels as well, was 8 bucks apound in the 1 pound block, choice of refined and not refined. If you have a michaels in your 'hood, check the papers as they print out a 40% off coupon on any ONE item often, and sometimes a 50% coupon.
probly not the cheapest, but close for me.

your results may vary...
Brett

Cumberland Trail Trade Co, got a website and good fella to deal with. And I believe theres a fella on here in the classifieds that got some for sale.

the cheapest place to get raw beeswax is a farmers market that sells honey. They sell raw unrefined beeswax for cheap.
My method of refining is to boil the wax with a lot of water. let the wax cool and when almost hard cut it out of the coffee can. The dirt and dead bees will coat the bottom and it is easly scraped off.
I know that this seems like a lot of work, but you will have refined beeswaxs done by your own hand.

Leatherworkers use a lot of beeswax, try a google on them, good smoke, ron in FL

Saw on the news today that bees are dying off. :shocked2:

Better get that wax quick!

Just checked the local Michael's craft store. $13 a pound for pure beeswax. The $3 stuff is paraffin.

Rgr273 said:
Saw on the news today that bees are dying off. :shocked2:

Better get that wax quick!

:rotf: I bet it is because of globable warming or cooling as it was in the seventys! :rotf:

Thank you for all the replies and research!

I just got a call back from a local beekeeper that sells beeswax for $4.00 a pound!

Take care!

Nord

'Wild' honey bees are dying because of parasitic mites that are native to this continent. Honeybees came with the Europeans and had a good run for a few hundred years. (NDNs called them 'white mans flies'.) Now nature is catching up to them.
Bee keepers have been battling these mites for years with various treatments. That's one reason the price of honey and wax continues to climb.
If nature works in the usual way, the feral bees will adapt to the mites (or die out).
Moose

Interesting! Just thought I would take the chance to pull something funny!

Thanks for the information...learn something everyday.

:hatsoff:

Warning: Science Lesson
The varroa mite, a native to Asia, attacks bees in their larval form sucking the body fluids from them.
The tracheal mite was not found in this country until 1984. It causes problems by weakening the bee as it sucks fluid while in the trachea.
So, we have honeybees from Europe being attacked by parasites from other parts of the world. This could be a problem fo us since so much of our food relies on the honeybee to pollinate them.
:thumbsup:

Now there is a "new" problem illness with the bees. I saw it in the newspaper the other day. Something like Colony Collapse Disorder or ???
Seems that it effects some bees but not others. They didn't go into details. Sounded like they don't know a lot of details yet.

It's been a real problem, especially for the farmers in California who depend on beekeepers who move bees into orchards to pollinate the crops. I've heard of beekeepers with thousands of hives who have lost half of their bees in a month.
Lots of ideas tossed around but no answers yet.

Back