• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beginner Flintlock Pistol Builder/Shooter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is something about successfully firing a flint lock firearm that makes participating in traditional muzzleloading so satisfying. @Rmada19801980 will need to learn some of the mysteries and I will start with one. Real black powder only in a flint lock firearm. The substitutes have a much higher ignition temperature and in a flint lock that means failure to fire or at least severe hangfires. Rmada should get a copy of @Eric Bye's book, "Flintlocks..." that is available through the NMLRA to learn a lot more of the mysteries of flint lock shooting.

https://www.nmlra.org/store/flintlocks-a-practical-guide-for-their-use-and-appreciation
In addition I would suggest using real, knapped flint rather than the cut agates.

Greetings all,

I am excited that I found this forum and group of fellow enthusiasts!

Not long ago I thought to myself, “how cool would it be to have a functioning flintlock pistol?!” and now I have a kit in the mail. I’m excited to build it and learn.

I’m active duty military and have experience with modern firearms and such, but something about the flintlock calls to me. I look forward to chatting, learning, and experiencing all of it.

Thank you in advance for the feedback and help you all provide along the way!

-Rmada
Welcome from Natchez, Ms

Greetings all,

I am excited that I found this forum and group of fellow enthusiasts!

Not long ago I thought to myself, “how cool would it be to have a functioning flintlock pistol?!” and now I have a kit in the mail. I’m excited to build it and learn.

I’m active duty military and have experience with modern firearms and such, but something about the flintlock calls to me. I look forward to chatting, learning, and experiencing all of it.

Thank you in advance for the feedback and help you all provide along the way!

-Rmada
Welcome, Enjoy

Here’s the kit in the attached picture.
Smart move to start with an inexpensive kit :thumb:
Postings by experienced forum members & other online sources will increase
your skills on how to tune & make needed improvements to the lock.
Best is yet to come !
Joining the ML forum opens the door to a lifelong historical based sport & many new friendships.

Welcome from Valdosta Georgia. I made my first flintlock pistol from a Dixie Gun Works kit while I was in High School. Bill
0.45FlintKentuckyPistol.jpeg

Welcome! Prior service Marine here. I built my first kit from Traditions, fell in love and built a Kibler, and now have more traditional arms than modern. In fact I sold my centerfire hunting unmentionables to find the Kibler 😂. Now I just keep the essentials. AR, couple carry pistols, and several black powder goodies. Semper Fi

Welcome! Prior service Marine here. I built my first kit from Traditions, fell in love and built a Kibler, and now have more traditional arms than modern. In fact I sold my centerfire hunting unmentionables to find the Kibler 😂. Now I just keep the essentials. AR, couple carry pistols, and several black powder goodies. Semper Fi
RobertN,
I suspect I’ll end up the same way…
I’m actually using the $$$ from selling modern firearms to finance my flintlock project. I have several guns in the collection that haven’t been used in over a decade. Almost all of my shooting is with Uncle Sam’s guns, anyway. Haha! I figured I’d take my unused ones and “recycle” them into something more fun and unique.

Update: dry-fitting, wood staining, and barrel blueing are all moving along as planned.

A couple questions for anybody who knows (and please excuse my ignorance):

1. My rear sight is loose and falls out. What would you all recommend to hold it in place?

2. Could I safely shoot just a .50 cal (.490) ball without a patch?
I understand velocity and accuracy are negatively affected. My question is are there safety reasons that one must use a patch? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3542.jpeg
    IMG_3542.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3553.jpeg
    IMG_3553.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3554.jpeg
    IMG_3554.jpeg
    859.3 KB · Views: 0
Back