• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Belt Hooks On Pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtlatlMan

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Belt hooks are rather handy things and of course show up frequently on sea service pistols, but how often did they show up in land use, specifically more in civilian and frontier contexts? Did sea service pistols ever migrate inland?

Attachments

• 8622896_04_cva_mountain_pistol_50cal_640.jpg
    8622896_04_cva_mountain_pistol_50cal_640.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 0
Picture looks like a CVA Mountain pistol. I have one I built from a kit but chose to not use the hook. I’m sure the hook is in a tool box somewhere around but I liked the look better without the hook.

I built a kit with a belt hook- just like in photo. I REALLY don't like them. I'm planning to take it out and make a plug to replace the mortise in the stock.

Belt hooks. Have had or have some pistols with belt hooks. All were a joke, except the French marine pistol. And I had it come loose from my belt once. Belt hooks are generally too short. Had a Scots pistol drop off in the woods w/o realizing it (a friend found it, so I did recover it). So if you want one that actually works, make it long such as the marine hook from TRS. Some do show up in Canada with the government colonial navy troops stationed there.

Attachments

• marine pistol top rear.jpg
    marine pistol top rear.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
The belt hook did appear to be relatively popular throughout Europe and North America during the period. Some pistols included a belt hook from the builder. Others seem to have been added to the pistol later by an owner. The Spanish seemed obsessed with belt hooks, both for military and civilian pistols. In fact, I've seen more original Spanish pistols with belt hooks than not.

As mentioned above, I found the belt hooks would be good to keep the pistol from being dropped from the belt. But the pistol tends to wiggle around on the belt during movement. Unless you wear a sash over the belt. Then the combination of the two seems to hold the pistol in place. That may also be the reason belt hooks did not appear popular with the Eastern market in the Ottoman Empire. Their common use of a wide sash and light weight pistols likely held their pistols firmly at the waist.

Here's some more examples of pistols with belt hooks:

Rick
DSC00678 (Medium).JPG
002 (Medium).JPG
002 (Medium).JPG
Spanish Pistol 011 (Medium).jpg
005 (Medium).JPG

Very appealing little pistol! That it now shoots is icing on the cake! Good job!
Thanks. When I first got it I didn’t know what the broken piece by the lock bolt was all about. Searching on the web, I found the pictures below on a European auction site. The top pictures are of my pistol as I bought it.

Attachments

• IMG_2014.jpeg
    IMG_2014.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back