• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bending a percussion hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crockett

Cannon
Reaction score
I am building a Deer Creek, northwest rifle. The hammer needs to be bent inward, toward the bore, about 1/16". I am afraid to try cold bending because it may snap the metal. Should I heat the metal? How hot? Does anyone have any tips on measuring how far the twist is made. Right now I am figuring I will have to bend a bit and test the fit. That's a lot of back and forth if there is a short cut. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey Crockett,it would be the best if you would heat it in the neck area to a dull red color to bend it.Some hammers have hard spots in them after they are cast,and if you would have one of them,it is possible that it could fracture. Before you do any bending take a reference measurement from the side of the hammer,you can do this by laying a straight edge on the side and measure to the center of the hammer face,then you will know when you get the movement you want. Hope this helps a little

Latest posts

Back