• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Colt Open Top Hammer Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep! Big difference between Patridge and partridge! ;)
Yup, a lower case r , my bad ! Actually I learned something today as I have always thought it was Partridge and wondered why they would be called that. It's a good day when one gets something straightened out that they should have known !
So was Patridge the name of the inventor ?

I've always wondered if WE aren't applying our method of using a sight and expectations instead of how THEY used them when talking Cap-n-Ball revolvers? For example, at most handgun fight distances which are at 10 feet or less, would you be taking the time to "aim" using the sights, OR would you be point shooting?

At a distance where the sights would be used, are they not correct? The Hickock-Tutt fight of 1865 took place at what reportedly was 75 yards, and Hickock is reported to have used his sights, striking Tutt between the fifth and seventh ribs. As Tutt was standing with his left side toward Hickock when struck, the bullet traversed his chest cavity, and he died about a minute or less after impact.

That may be pretty accurate, but Hickock did not report where on Tutt he was aiming when he fired. IF Hickock was aiming at Tutt where Tutt's head met the shoulders, then that's a pretty good drop, but, perhaps Hickock knew that his pistols were good at 40 yards using the sights, and simply trusted the handgun would hit Tutt somewhere in the torso. I doubt Wild Bill knew Tutt was at 75 yards, and suspect he only knew Tutt was a "good way off, so hold a bit high". Hickock did use his left arm to steady his aim when firing at Tutt.

Have we tried out our Colt copies to see where those sights actually lob the bullet with proper self defense powder loads, or are we trying to make the sights work with light loads at twenty-five feet?

LD
These sights were designed to be indexed on the belt buckle of your opponent, the round would rise during its flight and then drop again eventually dropping back down to the belt buckle again. This longer distance was the Battle Zero distance for the weapon.

The 30-06 cartridge in the Springfield and in the Garand had a BZ of 525 yards. Aim at the belt buckle and you get a hit to that distance…simple and easy.

These guns were not target pistols. They had a more important purpose.

Its the current context we shoot in. So many of us just shoot at a range at 25 yards for our fun.

Shooting at a belt buckle is not relevant for me and many others.

Those who hunt with these have a different take than I do.
I sight all my hand guns for a six O'c;lock hold on the bull at 25 yards for game or target.

I sight all my hand guns for a six O'c;lock hold on the bull at 25 yards for game or target.
I like a 6 O'clock generally. I seem to recall that that's what was called for when sighting-in in Army basic, way back! I like it to this day with pistol & rifle but would adjust depending upon what/when/why shooting.

Taking your ideas further, I used a second screw to create a sight base. The screw head was drilled through and cut off the shaft. I then drove the upside down head over the first post I made from another screw. This formed a base of sorts. My reasons: stability and protection of naked post by itself, and looks. I still need to clean it up but it’s right on at 15 and 25 yards. After I clean it up, I’ll widen the hammer notch a bit to improve my sight picture but I’m really happy with this so far. Thanks everyone.
IMG_3496.jpegIMG_3498.jpegIMG_3509.jpegIMG_3512.jpeg

Back