• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

best all around squirrel rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saturday last was about the only cool morning we've had so far. Beutifull sunny cool late summer morn. Got one fox but had to compete with a lot of other hunters. With the temps the way they are, I'm afraid that the meat would be spoiled before it hit the ground. :surrender: :surrender:

I've been out a couple times already. When it's this hot I always carry a soft cooler bag full of ice with a couple of zip-loc bags too. Clean the squirrels as soon as they hit the ground. Put 'em in a zip-loc bag and throw 'em in the cooler with the ice. Never had one spoil yet. And you can carry a bottle of water or soda in there too. :thumbsup:

I have a .32 percussion now and will have a .36 flintlock for next squirrel season. The "best" squirrel rifle is the one you can shoot their eye out with. Whatever the caliber. The rest boils down to personal preferences. I would stick to .32 or larger myself.

This time of year I split them and remove the entrails when I find them. The carcasses do just fine with the skin on until I get back in. Starting to look like we are going to need a sweat towel on opening day of dove season this year!

Back