• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Colt Reproduction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValleyForge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Brethren-in-Arms:

I'm considering expanding my BP pistol collection, adding a Colt reproduction to my trusty Remington. I'm looking seriously at an 1861 Army .36 = do any of you know who makes the Cabela's version? Is it Uberti (it's priced higher than their usual Pietta models). Also -- any thoughts as to shooting that weapon as opposed to the .44 Remington?

Thanks much,
ValleyForge

If you go over to the index and click on the percussion label you will get a list.

If you go down that list to yesterday, 5/24/05 you will find a thread labeled

Which Cap and Ball?

This thread will give you three pages of answers to your question.

There are also about 6 gazillion responses to this question in threads posted earlier than yesterday, if you wish to look them up.

:thumbsup:

The 1861 is a Navy Model, not an Army. As far as i am aware, it is also made by Pietta. Best way to find out would be to call Cabela's Customer service and ask tehm.

Cabelas sells ubertis and piettas, thats why they have so many variations for sale. as cabelas does not label by maker, you can either go email cabelas or go to the uberti and pietta websites and compare product photos, which can be pretty fun to do.

and as far as shooting goes, they use roundball, loose powder, and percussion caps, and load the same way as your remington does. Unless you already shoot a colt revelver, it may take some time to get proficient with the hammer notch rear sight.

The best one is a colt. We have a 36 cal. 1851 and a 1861 36 cal colt remade by colt around the 70's sometime. These are colts made by the same process colt made the ones during the civil war. However, they are navy, but not army. The Navy were actually preferred by the officers (Battle of Franklin-Cliborne-died with his colt and sword in his hand-1851 navy.) Some people think these are repros but they are authentic colts with serial numbers that continue from their original models from the 1860's and are stamped by colt. When you can find them they are more pricy than repros-in the $450-500 range for a unfired one-but what could be better than real thing? Contact me if you're interested. I've heard Remington is more accurate because of the top strap-but you may have to have it tuned by a good gun smith. Umberti makes a good one, so does pedersoli. (My husband is the pistol guy of the house.) Don't know which is Cabella's. A friend says for target shooting, the Rogers and Spencer is the best-a little heavier. I've seen him shoot a bowling pin at 100 yds. with it. His is an original. S

I shoot bowling pins at a hundred yards with my Colts. You wouldn't believe how far a ball from a Walker will toss a candle pin--even at that range. My '60 Armies have no problem, either. The Navy requires some serious holdover. Gives one a new perspective on Bill Hickcock's famous 75 yard shot in Springfield, Missouri. And bowling pins never shoot back.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I ordered the Uberti 1861 Colt repro today -- delivery expected within a week...

I only regret I didn't order it in time for Memorial Day. Oh well.

Back