• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Hawken Loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hofmada15

32 Cal.
Reaction score
First i want to say hello i just joined today after finding this site while doing some research on flintlocks. Wow theres a lot of info on this forum. I was wondering what i should shoot out of my hawken 50 cal last year i killed with 100 grains of 2f and a 325 grn maxi hunter. but out at fifty yards plus im not grouping consistently. I would like to stay with 2 f powder because i have a lot of it. I could be wrong but i feel that while the 100 grains creates velocity it may be creating "blow by" making it in accurate. SO whats gonna get me solid groups at 50 yards?
Thanks for your help!
adam

What kind of "hawken" do you have. Is it a factory made rifle or a custom built that truly represents a Hawken?
What is the twist rate? It may, or may not, be designed to shoot bullets.
As you read this forum you will find much more support for the traditional patched round ball than modern bullets.
If you are deer hunting, that .50 will kill 'em just as dead with a patched round ball and a charge anywhere from 50 grains to 100 grains, whatever is most accurate in your rifle.
With practice, using a round ball, I believe you will find using 70 to 90 grains of real black powder will give you great results.

hi hof welcome to the forum, more then likely it has a 1 in 48" twist I would still use a patched round ball a .490 ball and a 15 to 18 thousands patch and 60 to 80 grains of powder. I bet your groups will tighten up just be consistant on how much pressure you use to seat your ball. God bless and good shooting.

Good recommendations on the round ball. If you wish to stick to the bullet, you can easily go down to 70 grains of powder.

Killed my first elk many years ago with a .50 TC Hawkin a 370 grain maxi ball and 70 grains of 2f. Range was 131 yards.

I suggest that you switch to a .490 round ball, a mattress ticking patch or a pre-cut/lubed patch that is at least .015 thick and 60 grains of 3f Goex or similar traditional powder. Work up an accurate load by shooting groups of 3, then increase by 5 grains until you get nice, tight groups. Swab the bore in between shots with an alcohol dampened patch to return things to as much the same as when you started as you can so consistency is maintained. Always lube your shooting patch with something if cutting your own; olive oil, spit, Ballistol, all have been used but whichever you choose, use it sparingly.

Hof52 said:
Its a manufactured TC hawken i dont know how to determine the twist rate

Impossible to tell then... :hmm:

Might start at 75grs and move up 5grs until you get to 100...As mentioned a patched ball might give better accuracy than a maxi ball...

Hof52,
Not knowing what kind of lube and wads you were using, with that much powder and the inertia of that much lead there's a possibility that gas cutting occurred and that now there is leading in the barrel to remove to restore accuracy. Have you checked it over yet?

By the way, just curious, how heavy of animals and what kind of distances are you hunting?

My 50 cal TC Hawkens will shoot the lights out with 60 grains of 3f, .491 ball, and a .015 patch.

Another thing to watch for with the slug bullets is the dreaded "crud ring"! A hard ring of crud will build up in the bore where the base of the bullet sits. If you shoot without wiping that crud ring away it will build up more and more. In my own experience, the crud ring contributed to deteriorating accuracy. You could see the groups expanding on the target. They would pull back in and stay tight when the crud ring is wiped away and the bore wiped after every shot.

Blow by is more likely with lighter loads than heavy. One hundred grains of powder is going to upset the slug and obturate the bore pretty well.

The best money you will ever spend on muzzleloading is the cost of Dutch Schoultz' Blackpowder Rifle Accuracy System. Just Google the title and send him the $20 for his system. Then read it thoroughly. After you have read it thoroughly, re-read it. Then follow his instructions to the letter. When you are through, you will have your rifle shooting more accurately than you would ever think possible.

Here's his site: http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
...I gotta agree with 2-tall and rifleman... A .49 patched ball with 60-70 gr. of 3F is plenty... Proper shot placement will do the rest... In fact, I am convinced that proper shot placement will do the most... :thumbsup:

Back