• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best ML for benchrest shooting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

07Kingpin

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Bear with me-

Looking to shoot a traditional type ML using PRB for accuracy at 100 yards as a project.

Have shot F-Class at 600 for years and looking at this as a learning experience.

Focusing on 50 cal, possibly 45 for utility's sake, not interested in inlines or optics.

I don't see as well as I used to so this will be an exercise in compromise but want to stick with open/iron sights.

What would be a good rifle to start with?

Bench rifles fall into 2 groups, Light Bench and Unlimited, no weight limit.

If you can find one, Richland Arms Wesson Box Lock in 50 cal., barrel is 1 1/18". The rifles have very nice set triggers.

I have shot a T/C Renegade with a 1" Green Mountain 1/66" in 45. It has Redfield Olympic front and back. The wind will kill a .45 though.

Currently using a .52 under hammer with a Jim Goodien barrel and Redfield sights.

Light bench rifles must weight less than 14 pounds.

Look at The Gun Works to see what they might have.

Would need to find a set of front and rear Redfield Olympic sights if you are starting from scratch.

Under hammers are the predominant rifle on the line in bench matches.

For sights you might check with Lee Shaver.

Last edited:
Excellent information, thanks.

Looking at factory/common off the shelf rifles, just wanting to see what can be done.

"factory/common off the shelf rifles"

I would hunt a Wesson, you could have it re-barreled to the twist you want and caliber. A T/C 1" or Lyman with a GM barrel and upgraded triggers would work. Add lead to the stock to get the weight up. False muzzle would help and adjustable butt plate.

Need to consider most importantly the wind where you shoot, that will dictate the caliber.

Great reply thanks.

Definitely looking at factory off the shelf options.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel just want to start with the most accurate platform out of the box.

Looking at factory/common off the shelf rifles
In that case you are pretty much shopping for a unicorn. Bench rifles, both light and unlimited, are invariably custom built. The only factory made rifle that would fit the light bench category that I am aware of was the H&A underhammer. I think it had a 1 1/8" barrel, sold at a very reasonable price and, in the right hands, could be a real competitor. I regret selling mine. You can try going to large ml shoots, you might find someone getting out of the game and selling their stuff.

if you go with a 1/60 twist for a 50 patched round ball or a 1/56 twist for a 45 cal patched round ball you will get the results you want. cut the patches off at the muzzle and use real black powder. whipe bwetween rounds. it will be a tack driver.

It may seem sorta wrong, but I have had great groups with a Lyman Deer Stalker in 54 Caliber. I had a Tryon and they are accurate, but the Deer Stalker with 90 grains of 2F puts balls in 1 inch at 70 yards.

if you go with a 1/60 twist for a 50 patched round ball or a 1/56 twist for a 45 cal patched round ball you will get the results you want. cut the patches off at the muzzle and use real black powder. whipe bwetween rounds. it will be a tack driver.

There are many other factors that enter into making a rifle accurate and being on the leader board.

"cut the patches off at the muzzle" that is not a panacea. Most use precut patches in bench matches. All line shooters use BP and clean between shots that I know. Most bench shooters use teflon patches for consistency!! Most weigh their balls.

After mastering the loading practice and consistency is part of what a person needs to know.

Learning to read the wind, having good wind flags or turbines is required, 25 to 100 yards. Have to learn to dope the wind.

Gotta learn to read and adjust for the mirage and it's changes across the range.

Lots of great information and points to think about- thanks!

Will definitely take a good look at the Pedersoli options.

With longer range round ball shooting, wind is the biggest problem. So going with a bigger caliber like a 54 will help in that department.
I shot buffalo matches ("X" sticks) for many years. I used a .45 cal. prb rifle. Most of the other avid shooters in this discipline used 50s, some 54s. Wind was a big issue, especially for me. Even though I got some 50 patches I never won a match. 50 is the way to go as recoil with a .54 becomes a factor when shooting all day long.

I've never tried benching for its own sake, but if I did I'd start with an H&A style under hammer. They don't have set triggers but the trigger can be tuned.

It gives others the willies when done in a match, but I've found cleaning between shots is best done by turning the rifle muzzle down and lowering it onto a cleaning rod with a brush. You won't believe the amount of crud that comes out when you pull the rifle back up off the rod.

Here's a benchrest rifle. It's a .54 cal underhammer. Came to me with two Redfield micro rear sights (Olympic and International), a globe front and various inserts. Has false muzzle. Nipple is under a protective cap that sports a firing pin. This prevents the escape of gas and cap fragments when shooting from the bench. Receiver is marked Belle Precision. I got it some time back as part of a deal from an estate and haven't fired it. Probably never will. Benchrest isn't my thing.
John

Attachments

• 20201018_134801.jpg
    20201018_134801.jpg
    76 KB
  • 20200926_144536.jpg
    20200926_144536.jpg
    57.9 KB
  • 20201018_134843.jpg
    20201018_134843.jpg
    84.8 KB
  • 20200914_080608.jpg
    20200914_080608.jpg
    103.9 KB
Rich, I'm sorry that I do not know the maker of the barrel. It is 40" long and has a 1:60" twist. The line where the false muzzle contacts the barrel is so well executed that it's almost invisible. I also can't find any reference to Belle Precision. BTW I have the rifle listed for sale locally and really don't want to ship it but could be convinced I guess. Shipping will require two packages as the sights are in their own padded case.
John

Attachments

• 20200926_144256.jpg
    20200926_144256.jpg
    56.8 KB
  • 20200926_145057.jpg
    20200926_145057.jpg
    138.6 KB
The Renegade by Thompson Center is not in current production however, one of these in .54 or .50 could work well as an entry level gun. They have decent triggers and locks, the stock is well designed for shooting from a bench with a broad shotgun style butt and in .50 caliber it weighs enough to help tame the recoil for a long day at the range. Lee Shaver can set you up with sights although the T/C version can also be found on eBay or sometimes armslist. Later, if you feel the need, you can find aftermarket barrels, perhaps a 32” tube for a longer sight radius, with rifling cut for round ball. The whole setup could cost less than 500 for entry level.

Latest posts

Back