• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best muzzleloading bullet WMC .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What have you found to be the best muzzle loading bullet for the TC White Mountain Carbine? The rifle will be used for deer hunting and has a 1:38 twist (measured).

I need to work up some loads for this fall.

Thanks,

Bob

A paper patched C-501-440-RF. This is a friends gun and buck. I made the bullets. Ron

Johndeer05-a.jpg

I've found that the fast twist of the WMC makes it a challenge to find a consistent and accurate load that I can be confident with.

I hate to admit it, especially on this forum, but the load I've settled on for my 50 WMC is a 348 grain Power Belt with 80 gr of Goex FFF.

:surrender:

Shoot round balls first before you decide it won't shoot them.
ROT is a big myth but certainly fast twist favors slug type bullets and slow twist favors RB.
Rifling depth is more important than ROT.

Idaho Ron said:
A paper patched C-501-440-RF. This is a friends gun and buck. I made the bullets. Ron
Ron,

I read your posts on paper patching the C-501-440-RF with great interest. I would prefer not to have to go that route as I am not set up for casting and sizing my own bullets. I will if I have to and I am sure I would enjoy it but I want to try some factory ML bullets first. What is the weight of the C-501-440-RF? Great pictures and I thank you for sharing them.

ebiggs said:
ROT is a big myth but certainly fast twist favors slug type bullets and slow twist favors RB.

The rifling is pretty shallow and I tried a .490 Hornady swaged PRB with a 0.20 patch over 85g of Goex FFg. It shot to the same hole at 15 yards but it was nearly off the paper high left and it was very difficult to load so I will have to go to a thinner patch for hunting. I will try a thinner patch before I give up on the PRBs.

Wink said:
I've found that the fast twist of the WMC makes it a challenge to find a consistent and accurate load that I can be confident with.

I hate to admit it, especially on this forum, but the load I've settled on for my 50 WMC is a 348 grain Power Belt with 80 gr of Goex FFF.
:surrender:

I prefer not to go that route but I will if I have to.

I had some TC-Maxi balls in 370g that shot beautifully with an OP wad over 85g of Goex FFg so I can always get some more of them and work up a load with them but I would like to get something lighter in the 270g - 300g range to flatten out the trajectory some.

I had the Maxi-balls for black bear and they are over kill on whitetail for sure.

I picked up some 270g hollow point Buffalo bullets Great Plains to try and I also ordered some 300g Keith nose HP from Precision Rifle to try as well.

I always enjoy the time at the range working up a load. It is good for what ails you.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. It is appreciated.

Bob

My wmc flinter 50 likes 70gr fffg with rb.Accuracy goes away at 80gr.Keep your charges on the lighter side and you should be ok.Mine has the 1-38 twist.The earlier wmc had a 1-20 twist these usually don't like rb with hunting loads.

ebiggs said:

I agree.My .50 cal Lyman Great Plains Hunter is a 1-32 but its rifling depth is fairly deep and lit shoots RB with up to 100g of powder with great accuracy.Give the RB a try.

george

Back