• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

best NC deer mountains?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueridger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello to this forum. I am new to this forum, and this is my first post here. I am interested in doing a muzzleloading deer hunt in the NC mountains, either in the Pisgah Nat. Forest or Nantahal Nat. Forest. I am a meat hunter, and would be happy with either a buck or doe (if legal). Can anyone give suggestions as to the best mountain counties and places? I prefer remote, and possibly difficult to get to, as that cuts down on competition. I know that populations are higher in the east, and have killed many deer there. I am less familiar with the NC mountains, and would like some info and advice from someone more familiar with them.

blueridger said:
I forgot to add that I wouldn't mind backpacking in to a remote area.
Check the NC WRC website...a huge new state gamelands was just opened out west a year ago...might be a good place for a few years to come...don't know if camping is allowed but the website should answer those kinds of questions
[url] http://www.ncwildlife.org/main_index.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I live over the mountains on the Tennessee side. I don't know about North Carolina, but I can tell you a little about conditions on this side of the state line.
I hunt the mountain area from south of the Great Smokey Mountain National Park and the Little Tennessee River, down to the Georgia state line. It is all in the Cherokee National Forest, although there are private farms and settlements scattered about within that vast area.
You will need a good topographic map that not only shows the terrain features, but also what is private and what is public areas.
Also, within my hunting area are two large black bear preserves. In general, they are open to deer and wild boar hunting, but open seasons vary and are sometimes different than the open seasons in other areas of the state. Read the game regulations very carefully!
Scouting is very important. The deer are scattered over a huge area. They are not everywhere, and compared to the agricultural areas, they are scarce.
I'll say that again: deer are scarce, and what deer are in these heavily wooded mountains are scattered in small groups over a huge area.
I find "pockets" of deer in widely scattered areas. Also, it seems that I usually find deer higher up on the ridges and around the heads of remote valleys. Down low along the creeks is where I generally find more hog sign. But, of course, deer and pigs can be anywhere. Learn the difference between deer and pig tracks. Pigs have a more rounded hoof than do deer.
Be in good physical condition. These mountains are steep sided and the ravines are jungles choked with rhododendren. The ridge tops are often thick with mountain laurel and catbriars. It is tough country to walk around in, and even harder to get a deer out of.
I have a favorite little hunting spot that requires me to pack in about two miles over a ridge. I took a nice buck there in 2006, but it took me 5 hours to drag it out of there! I still like hunting there, and sometimes camp there for a couple of days, but the next deer, hog, or bear that I take back in there will be cut up and packed out in quarters. It is a lot of work!

Thanks. I have the topo maps, the gear and all that. I am looking for recommendations as to the best place to go. I'd prefer to be able to camp there after hiking in. I know that mountain hunting is difficult. I just hoped that someone could give me some specific or general locations that would be good. I don't mind if it is remote, as I will quarter the deer out. I have dragged deer out of the Virginia foothills in remote areas, and that taught me very well about quartering them when you are deep.

Back