• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best smoothbore for money!?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limbhanger78

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok fellows got the .54 out of the way for hog hunting now I have another dilemma. I have been using an inline for Turkey hunting and I want to go with a flintlock. Problem is I can't afford a $1000 smoke pole. Please help me find one asap because Turkey season is almost here!!! Kits or complete it doesn't matter. Thanks!!!

I don't know how much under $1000 you want to go...you didn't mention if you're thinking $500, $750 or what. I think a smoothie in Flint will be a tougher find. Also, more "military" type smooth flinters available at lower pricing than "hunter" type models.

Choices seem greater in percussion.

I looked around a little on the web. Didn't find much under $1000 in Flint in a "hunter" gun (not that a military style won't work, just don't have any info on what you want, gauge, etc). For turkey, I don't think you're going to want a bright finish, like some military versions seem to have. I did find this one for $750...don't know if it's any good at all, but new and production/stock gun. Unfortunately pretty bright...would need a finish for turkey. Same outfit has a Flint fowler for $650. Again, know NOTHING about these guns or the quality.
http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/MDBF.shtml

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
limbhanger78 said:
Ok fellows got the .54 out of the way for hog hunting now I have another dilemma. I have been using an inline for Turkey hunting and I want to go with a flintlock. Problem is I can't afford a $1000 smoke pole. Please help me find one asap because Turkey season is almost here!!! Kits or complete it doesn't matter. Thanks!!!
Given your criteria and time frame, I think one good approach is to get a used T/C Hawken or Renegade with a 1" barrel and have it bored out to a 20ga (or a used GM drop-in smoothbore barrel if you can find one)...worst case you'll be in the woods for $500 - $600 bucks...do something more permanent in the future if you want.
This is a GM .62cal(20ga) drop-in barrel on a T/C Hawken that let me get started:

042807CloseupFlintlockonTomsneck.jpg

Yeah I was wanting to find a .75 caliber. How much is it to bore hawken and who locally could do that?

limbhanger78 said:
Yeah I was wanting to find a .75 caliber. How much is it to bore hawken and who locally could do that?

Bobby Hoyt does them for $60.

Bobby Hoyt
700 Fairfield Station Road
Fairfield, Pennsylvania 17320
(717) 642-6696

I personally wouldn't consider that, but would buy a used T/C Hawken / Renegade with a 1" barrel without hesitation

Limbhanger, I take it you're looking to have something really fast...like in a couple of weeks. Guns in the white and "kits" take time for either a builder to do or you to do. Maybe you are retired and have a LOT of time to spend in several weeks, don't know.

Also, I'm not an expert on barrel boring, but I don't think you can get a 75 cal out of a 1" barrel. Wouldn't leave enough material. If you go Roundball's route, you might get a 20 gauge.

Even a 12 gauge is "only" .715, I believe, so not sure you'd need a 75 cal as a turkey gun, but it's your gun, so your choice.

I would go with Roundball's recommendation seeing as that is how I started as well. Flintlock renegade and a GM .62 smooth barrel. You could get them from GM back then. Now the quickest is have Bobby Hoyt bore one out for you. Can't go wrong for the money. :thumbsup: Good luck.

Dave

Back